Rooftop tent alternatives (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Having camped in everything from hammock to pop up trailer over the past 35 years, I'm finding an awning tent a very nice compromise between RTT and ground tent. the ARB 2500 tent awning is < $1,000.00 has more floor space and head roof than RTT and keeps your roof clear for kayaks, bikes, and other MPG reducing stuff.

The ARB RTT we had was great when it was on a 2" lifted RRC but started to become a acrobatic event on a 6" lifted FZJ80. Also, the older I get the more I like to drink while camping, and 3AM scramble down a RTT ladder is, well, a challenge. And peeing of the roof was skill set I determined I was too old to take on.

Other thing to consider is a tent cot. Small but very quick to set up, on ground or up on a roof rack.

Revkev, apologies if you're straight up. I thought coming from SF you'd been engaging the LSD. Happy camping mate.

Haha, no apologies necessary but I must say LSD is so early 2000, we have better, organic, gluten free, non gmo designer drugs now...JK I will admit, coming from SF, there is a hippie factor in play as my daily driver is Prius and MPG is always an issue when I drive.

Don't. Cuz it does. At least in my experience in MX.

I need to camp more in the USA. Sounds safe. That's an unusual feeling in MX.

Any place you go where poverty and wage disparity is that huge there's always a risk someone with nothing will want what you have.
You don't have to go to Mexico to see that. I'm sure there's a few neighborhoods in Watts or Compton that you'd not want to pitch your tent in a dark alley. Last two time I went Mexico my opinion was that the further away from the American tourist areas you were the better off you were.
Criminals tend to hang out where the pickings are easy. Baja was wonderful. You couldn't ask for a better community of people. Always generous
and helpful. ...Rocky Point, Acapulpco and other touristy spots you may want to stay alert

Yes, I see the cool factor, but since our rigs get lousy MPG, I try to drive as light as possible (i take out original jack and tool kit, headrests, etc). So a pop up tent (which take 5 minutes to set up) is significantly lighter than a rooftop set up. I like the vantage point, the views from above, and the slightly more secure location from Yogi Bear and other critters.

I like everything you said. Spot it, RTTs add a cool factor but its best to try to travel as light as possible. The only point I disagree on is that I dont think any bear would have a problem getting into a RTT. See . I've seen bear claw marks all the way up to 70-80' up aspen in Colorado. Climbing the body of a vehicle is nothing to them if they smell food. Same situation with mountain lions if they are on the prowl. I do think a RTT would help with certain creepy crawlies like scorpions and snakes but so does a good tent and camping smart. I'd rather spend money on something else myself (unless I become homeless).

I was still waiting to see where technology takes us till I have room in our new garage for storage. So check out the new summit series that Cascadia roof top tents has come up with. Vastly improved on the durability factor but there is a price for the upgrade. Think I will pop for one as Bobby out in Bend has been a wealth of info in my search.....Good luck and i will report back when i hook this RT up....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom