40-55-60-70-80-100 & 200 Roof Racks and Mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Christmas definitely came early this year. Its a shame that I have to cover up the welds on this rack with paint. If only there was a clear durable finish that wouldn't rust underneath. Oh well. The rack will be dropped off at the powder coaters tomorrow AM.
Some pictures to really appreciate the beauty of the raw rack and true craftsmanship Jason puts into his work:
26459028623_9afaee4374_c.jpg

26459105573_b935dffaca_z.jpg

26457405034_074114e954_c.jpg

26968462832_99ae6c1167_c.jpg

26459032243_4032fcbd7d_c.jpg

@reevesci Jason, I just bought a Yakima Skybox for extra dry storage on the roof. I'm looking at different rack options and really like yours. Do you happen to know if the Skybox will mount properly to your custom rack? Thanks in advance!

Jason could you show pic of your racks fit the 40 and a ladder what is the best way to contact you.

Thanks
Rickey

60 series flat rack review:

During the night 5 years ago, some a****** decided that he should have the roof rack off of my wife’s FJ62 “Blue Guy”. It was definitely a bold theft to say the least, due to the size alone. Fast forward to present day and we were walking around the neighborhood and a super clean 60 series drove by decked out in beefy bumpers and a nice roof rack. Well that was enough convincing for my wife, time to get a roof rack! When thinking of which rack to get, one name came to my mind…. Trail Tailor. I had been drooling over the amazing and well thought-out bumpers and roof racks that Jason had been making. I could tell he took great pride in his work and the end products were not just good looking, but built for a lifetime of hard duty. Our main requirement for the roof rack was high adaptability. This meant a flat rack. It would allow us to haul lumber and other large items, while also giving us the flexibility to add a rooftop tent later on. Jason and I exchanged a few messages about the size, style and number of mounts for the rack. Jason recommended we go for 8 mounts based on what we wanted to use the rack for. Jason was a pleasure to deal with and provided updates during the whole process:
sam_1251-jpg.1253612

A few weeks after the initial order, our roof rack arrived at my work place very well packed. I had seen many pictures of his work online, but opening the box and seeing the rack in person was something else. The rack was beefy, yet not overly heavy (easily lifted into place by two people) and the welds are perfect. Even the guys at the powder coating shop commented on how nice the rack was. I honestly wish I could have kept it raw steel.
26459028623_9afaee4374.jpg

26459105573_b935dffaca.jpg

26457405034_074114e954.jpg

Setup was very easy using the supplied stainless steel hardware (remember to put anti-seize on the threads first!). The mounts are made of thick precision bent steel and have a wide footprint for weight distribution without harming the seam sealed gutters. The clamps grab onto the gutter rail very nicely and securely. Each gusset plate has 8 extra mounting holes for strapping or bolting anything you want down securely. The rack has a low profile against the roof with enough space underneath to make mounting and dismounting accessories easy.
26689394214_2082629a36_c.jpg

28523100635_bcfe88906a.jpg

[
28417372412_7301767964_c.jpg

28523107265_d94bf0f7ba_c.jpg

Overall, my wife and I are very happy with our new rack and look forward to using it for years to come as our family and adventures expand. Trail Tailor sliders and bumpers are definitely in the future. We highly recommend contacting Jason at Trail Tailor if you are in the market for a new rack!
28417379532_c3ed47429c_c.jpg

Don't push it to fast too soon, that move will take a lot out of you and if you eff yourself up again before then you could be laid up for months.

Don't push it to fast too soon, that move will take a lot out of you and if you eff yourself up again before then you could be laid up for months.

I completely understand that. I'm feeling pretty good and been working with a therapist. I've eased back into it at my comfort level. I go back next week for another MRI on the torn muscle.

Bruising is completely gone now and Andrea can rub my back without any pain.

J

Good, I tweaked my back about 12 years ago just before I was 40, after a couple weeks I thought all was good and ended up doing more damage that laid me up for months, since then I've got much older and wiser to the fact that it just takes time and not doing stupid stuff to keep 100%. Buddy of mine had to have stuff fused and then a cage put in and has never and will never be the same as he was, his quality of life is just shy of s***ty, can't sit for more than an hour can't stand for more than an hour and never gets more than 3 hours of sleep at a time.

You're skill level is too good to fall into a trap like this so PLEASE just be a pussy for another couple months in order to ensure the mud members you'll be back building stuff in 2017 and years to come!

Good, I tweaked my back about 12 years ago just before I was 40, after a couple weeks I thought all was good and ended up doing more damage that laid me up for months, since then I've got much older and wiser to the fact that it just takes time and not doing stupid stuff to keep 100%. Buddy of mine had to have stuff fused and then a cage put in and has never and will never be the same as he was, his quality of life is just shy of s***ty, can't sit for more than an hour can't stand for more than an hour and never gets more than 3 hours of sleep at a time.

You're skill level is too good to fall into a trap like this so PLEASE just be a pussy for another couple months in order to ensure the mud members you'll be back building stuff in 2017 and years to come!

Mine is 100% muscle, no spine issues at all. I set up 120 mounts this morning. I'm watching it close.

J

Jason would you message me with a contact # I would like to talk about a 40 roof rack
thanks
Rickey

Trail Taylor built this flat rack for for my FJ80 in April of this year. I bought it unfinished and it was exactly to my specs as requested and quality was amazing. Installed it unfinished to get it home, then got to painting it and getting lights mounted on the tabs provided.

Very impressed with the mount design, the installation ease and how adjustable it is in mounting options. Jason told me it was rated for impressive weight, I tested it immediately with about 600lbs of camping gear and firewood for a trip to Goblin Valley in May.

Wind noise is minimal even with lights mounted on the tabs, cross winds are noisier than head/tail wind.

I intend to mount my Tepui tent on it when going places my offroad trailer can't, but have not mounted it yet. It's taken great care of gear and supplies for trips to Ouray and Utah's West Desert. It also makes a great surface to lay on when watching the Perseid Meteor Shower.

Thanks Jason. Great design and craftsmanship.

20160430_133728.jpg

20160515_174421.jpg

20160528_120652.jpg

20160708_102415.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom