Roof leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well with all the rain we've had in NC this week I noticed my headliner was wet. First check sunroof drains they where clear so that could only mean one thing . Pulled the roof rack and found rust . Well with more rain on the way and work covered it with duck tape till I can address it better. Would you putty up the hole or weld them up ? Don't have to be pretty just don't want to have to do it again. It's a 1997 cruiser if that matters .

Last edited:
Some pics

1444011798026.jpg

Everytime I see one of these posts I am thankful I couldn't afford the sunroof option back in 1992 when I ordered my 80. I would cut it out, weld in a new piece of metal, grind it smooth, and paint it. It will be done forever.

Good luck.

Everytime I see one of these posts I am thankful I couldn't afford the sunroof option back in 1992 when I ordered my 80. I would cut it out, weld in a new piece of metal, grind it smooth, and paint it. It will be done forever.

Good luck.

His leak has to do with his roof rack not his sun roof.

Florida 80 just below your thread used Marine Tex to fill his roof rack holes.. not sure it would be an option for you but would be easier then welding. Good reviews on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-Mighty-Repair-14-Ounce/dp/B001446LMW

That's what I meant. I couldn't afford moonroof, roof rack, or running boards. Thankful every day!

When I had my 85 mini truck the PO had a hunting antenna (dog tracker) through the roof. Bout the size of a bat handle. I pulled it out, used a product the same as that mentioned above. Sanded. Spray paint. Never a drop came in. The force of the water just isn't enough to need to weld. IMO.

I had the same problem w a wet headliner. Blew out my sunroof drain tubes and I'm good to go. I am in charleston sc. It was record breaking this weekend

I'm leaning towards welding it but don't really want to drop the headliner .

No need to cut and weld. Wire wheel it, dent the affected areas down with a beveled punch/body hammer, apply POR15, Steel Stick, bondo, prime and paint.

The key is to bevel the holes downward so the Steel Stick and filler will hold in place.

No need to cut and weld. Wire wheel it, dent the affected areas down with a beveled punch/body hammer, apply POR15, Steel Stick, bondo, prime and paint.

The key is to bevel the holes downward so the Steel Stick and filler will hold in place.

Guess I'm just worried it might let go down the road . You can put a filler over pro 15 ? I always thought it had to be put to bare metal.

I had the same problem w a wet headliner. Blew out my sunroof drain tubes and I'm good to go. I am in charleston sc. It was record breaking this weekend
My headliner is wet and the passenger floorboard is soaked. I'm in NC. Can hardly remember the last time it wasn't raining.

^X2

I did not use POR15. I used Rust Bullet. I believe they are very similar products. I did this 3+ years ago and it's still holding.

Yes, you can put Steel Stick or JB Weld over these products.

Here's the thread that shows the roof on my son's 92. See post #2 for pics.
BUILD THREAD FOR THE "German Shepherd"
The strangest thing about the process is when you are hitting the roof holes with a hammer and punch. Making dents on your cruiser that way just seems weird.

Anyway the process described above works and the roof still looks outstanding today.

It finally rained in San Diego county. Found my passenger side floor all wet, soaked really. Don't see any evidence of the headliner being wet though, what else would cause the rain to soak the floor if it isn't a roof leak?

It finally rained in San Diego county. Found my passenger side floor all wet, soaked really. Don't see any evidence of the headliner being wet though, what else would cause the rain to soak the floor if it isn't a roof leak?
There are 4 sunroof drain tubes. Or the front windshield seal.

OK I've ordered some PRO15 and picked up a steel stick and some body filler . Has anyone ever ordered paint from Automotive touch ups ? They sale everything from a 2oz pin to a gallon of ready to spray paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom