Roof basket vendors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife wants to buy me a roof basket for my birthday. I'm friggen stoked, anyway I would like to support the small vendors in our community when I can. And without alot of time to research them I'm turning to you guys for advice.
What are my roof basket options out there? I know there are guys who make stuff and sell it but have no website and such. So by asking for your guys help in this one I won't miss any vendor that makes them.

I'm sure you know about ARB roof racks, and yes they are bomber. They are also expensive. I used to have the full length steel version that had the support arms welded to a full length gutter runner (for FJ60). But the rack got stolen. It was HEAVY (75 lbs) and very tricky to remove from the car by myself. Super strong. I once had 2 girls dancing up on top of it with a 3/8" plywood floor for a video. It could have taken two more.
A friend and I used to sleep up on that rack when we went on surfing trips to Mexico. Solid.

My 2nd (current) rack is a bolt together rack made by Garvin in CA. SOR sells them. So does Garvin directly. It is relatively inexpensive as roof racks go.
It is also a markedly lighter duty rack than the bomber ARB. It also weighs a lot less than the old steel ARB because the tubing is smaller. Garvin will also make a custom rack for you if you want. ARB won't.

There is no way I could have two girls dance on this Garvin rack, or even one (pity), but it proved itself to be plenty strong to be fully loaded with a few hundred lbs of gear and travel the "Baja 1000" roads just fine. No problems.

What I really like about it is that since it is a bolt-together rack, and relatively light. It can be assembled and disassembled on the car piece by piece.... But the greatest thing about it is IT CAN BE STORED IN A CLOSET once disassembled. Right now I have mine in a closet. Priceless.

Where the steel ARB rack would allow me to stand in the middle of the rack (with 3/8" plywood floor) with very minimal bending of the cross bars, doing so on the Garvin is not recommended. It's cross bars really bend.

>>>
If I had a place to store it, my ultimate choice would be the expensive ARB aluminum alloy rack with mesh floor since it is light (important) does not rust (very important to me) and is plenty strong (important).

There are other companies/guys now that make roof racks for the cruiser. I just have experience with these two.

Wow thanks for the reviews. I live the idea of the plywood and sleeping up there. Oh I can't wait

I'm sure you know about ARB roof racks, and yes they are bomber. They are also expensive. I used to have the full length steel version that had the support arms welded to a full length gutter runner (for FJ60). But the rack got stolen. It was HEAVY (75 lbs) and very tricky to remove from the car by myself. Super strong. I once had 2 girls dancing up on top of it with a 3/8" plywood floor for a video. It could have taken two more.
A friend and I used to sleep up on that rack when we went on surfing trips to Mexico. Solid.

My 2nd (current) rack is a bolt together rack made by Garvin in CA. SOR sells them. So does Garvin directly. It is relatively inexpensive as roof racks go.
It is also a markedly lighter duty rack than the bomber ARB. It also weighs a lot less than the old steel ARB because the tubing is smaller. Garvin will also make a custom rack for you if you want. ARB won't.

There is no way I could have two girls dance on this Garvin rack, or even one (pity), but it proved itself to be plenty strong to be fully loaded with a few hundred lbs of gear and travel the "Baja 1000" roads just fine. No problems.

What I really like about it is that since it is a bolt-together rack, and relatively light. It can be assembled and disassembled on the car piece by piece.... But the greatest thing about it is IT CAN BE STORED IN A CLOSET once disassembled. Right now I have mine in a closet. Priceless.

Where the steel ARB rack would allow me to stand in the middle of the rack (with 3/8" plywood floor) with very minimal bending of the cross bars, doing so on the Garvin is not recommended. It's cross bars really bend.

>>>
If I had a place to store it, my ultimate choice would be the expensive ARB aluminum alloy rack with mesh floor since it is light (important) does not rust (very important to me) and is plenty strong (important).

There are other companies/guys now that make roof racks for the cruiser. I just have experience with these two.
Link to the video??

Not exactly a small vendor but... last summer I purchased and installed a Gobi "Ranger Rack" for my 1985 FJ60. These are pricey, but I'm extremely pleased with the quality and features, and installation was very simple. Gobi also offers a number of accessories. The vendor shipped the rack on it's own palette and the packaging was outstanding. The rack is incredibly tough -- have stood on it many times with no concerns. Here are some pics:

Only needed a friend to help lift the rack onto the brackets (after they were attached to the roof gutter):

ih8mud04.jpg

Loaded up for bird hunting in northern Michigan... Weimaraner approved!

ih8mud06.jpg

ih8mud05.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom