1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rich engine?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by ddwwxse, Dec 26, 2002.

1. ddwwxse

ddwwxse

I need help, I have a 1975 fj-40 with the 2f engine. The problem is that the engine runs really rich. So much so that even with the top on after driving it for a few miles your cloths stink of exhaust. I rebuilt the carb. and that helped, I re-routed the exhaust to vent in the original factory position and that helped. I run the lowest octane gas I can find and that helps but the engine still runs too rich. This is my first cruiser so I'm really not sure what to expect from it? Is this normal? I'm to the point of thinking about rebuilding the engine to see if that helps. Any sudjestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    ddwwxse
    BTW The engine doesn't blow any blue smoke. just fyi.....

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Is it showing other signs of running too rich, like black smoke or carboned plugs?
    F motors are known (heck all I-6s, it seems) for cracking exhaust manifolds and leaking gaskets at the head. If it just smells bad, maybe that's it.
    got any hard ignition misses? sometimes folks track fuel problems for rich conditions when it's an ignition problem.

3. ddwwxse

ddwwxse

ignition is fine, exhaust manifold is fine-no leaks on the exhaust system anywhere. No black smoke, the plugs are new but when I removed the old ones there was little carbon build-up so everything is fine there. It's a mystery to me....?

4. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    To test for rich give it a bit of a vacuum leak and see what it does with the extra O2. If RPM's go up, it's rich. If it doesn't like the extra air then your stoichiometry is about right.

5. FJ40Jim

FJ40Jim The Cruiser Whisperer

Holy archaic thread revival Batman!

6. cruiserjunkie

cruiserjunkie

:eek: Hopefully it will help the next guy that searches this