Rhino Lining pros and cons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So. I've been looking for a new (to me) FJ40. Some have been rhino lined, or some other type of bed liner, inside the tub, some underneath. Some have had rust areas repaired prior to lining some appear to have had the liner applied right over holes in the sheet metal.
My question is what are the pros and cons of purchasing a rig that's already been lined?

Thanks, Gregg

Good s*** if dun on clean painter metal. BUT if its put over even surface rust the rust just takes off. my advice is dont touch it unless it is very cheap because what wre they trying to hide.

Done well, no issues.

7167188320_05652c4116.jpg

6388936361_3879e16f54.jpg

Done poorly, issues. That's a pretty standard truism, no matter what the topic.

Rhino and Linex will NOT coat over rust. The surface must be free of rust and at least primered. Ive used both compnies over the yeras, and they wont coat over rust or unprepped surfaces as it will void thier own warranty and cause them more work in the long run to correct if the liner lifts

"Rhino and Linex will NOT coat over rust" it the product will coat over rust, it the operator should not. It is often applied over a primered body, something the Linex installer does not do, nor is there anyway he can vouch for the quality of that primer paint or the metal under it. Plus you have so many do it yourself stuff that a user can spray or roll on.

Unless it looks like a professional Linex job I would assume potential rust problems under it when buying. Better to have rust problems that you expected and factored into your price then to have rust problems when you paid for 100% rust free.

Adds a lot of weight,.quiets some stuff down

This was done approx. 6 years ago, If rust was trapped underneath would it be bubbling through by now?
IMG_2819.jpg
IMG_2823.jpg

As for the personal preference aspect of bed liner, I think it's great if it's color-matched for two reasons:

-Anyone who has owned a black car knows that they only look clean right after being washed. I imagine that black bedliner always makes your interior look dirty.

-Color-matched bedliner doesn't stand out as much. If done well, most would not even notice it. This way, you get the benefits of durability without the drawbacks of the aesthetics (which again is my personal opinion).

As for whether the rust would bubble up the bedliner after 6 years, I would think if they had simply slopped it on over rust, it would've peeled off long ago, if not immediately. If the rest of the rig looks well-done and the underside of the floor looks rust free, then I think you're reasonably safe here.

I found this thread by accident and was surprised at how much some people hate bedliner in '40:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/584800-biggest-turnoff-used-fj40.html

Ironically, I found this thread the day I ordered a Raptor kit. NBD, my truck is not for sale anyway.

Exactly, do it for yourself, not resale. I ordered the raptor kit as well, planning on doing the underside and the bottom of the inside. There are a lot of people that dislike it, but there are also a lot of people that dislike the color I chose, the wheels and tires I run, my seats, etc... can't please everyone! :beer:

I used a "Rhino" line type product on the interior and rear bed of my HJ75 and have had good results. Professional installation is the key.
593.jpg
596.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom