Builds Reviving "the wife's" 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
image.jpg
Instead if posting this to weekend work I figure I'll track my progress not just on weekends, but also between them.

So I picked up the rebuilt 1fze short block last week and have been working to get it ready for the head and reinstalling into the truck. (95 Fzj).

While pulling the crank pully I broke a puller bolt. After work I removed it and blasted the caked junk off the pully for fresh paint.
image.jpg
image.jpg

(Mandatory disclaimer- I only tease my wife with the "the wife" thing because that's what she put into my new phone as her contact)

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Pardon the Midwest petina... Got home from drill and set back to work on the 80. Still don't have a torque wrench for bolting down the head, so I finished stripping the rusty dysfunctional e-brake hardware from the axle. I'll build a tcase disc at some point. I'm about to dig into the rear diff to hopefully fix the non functional locker actuator.

I figure it's a good time while the driveshafts are out.

So... I just torqued down the head and was prepping to install the cams. I had small zip ties holding the chain up for the head install. The first one came out fine. The second fell down to the crank. Now I get to pull the pan back off and maybe the timing cover too.

Insert explicits here...

So last night after getting the timing cover and oil pans back on I dug into the rear locker. It hasn't worked for the few years we've had the truck, and I imagine for a lot longer before. The actuator housing was so corroded it broke. Until I can afford a new one I made a block off plate out of stainless scrap at work.

I'm really bummed that we still won't have the rear locker. At least the front works!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Just got it all in place without pulling the tcase shifter.

image.jpeg

I'll finish the partially built bumper after its driving. My daughter broke off the tacked on right wing three years ago just before she seized the engine. This is fixing all that BS.

Last edited:
We will be installing a new water pump during this round of work. I can get them locally through NAPA and our local import parts place for ~$80 with lifetime warranties. Does price reflect quality? I've seen them online for around $40.

NO! go online and get yourself an Aisin pump! same brand / maker as toyota, exact same part, and is quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom