Retrofitting Hubcap Clips on Modern Steelies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steve
I have some of those caps they are so nice. However having some trouble finding split rims to copy your project. Any advice.

Hi Skip. Stockton should be able to take a set of 15" OEM wheels which already have clips and make those 16" or 17". I actually have two or three that are gathering dust if you need a few donors. Basically they remove the centers, lengthen the spokes, and weld to a new hoop.

^^^When I checked, Stockton could only up the diameter by 1" from the donor wheel. So a stock 15" steelie could only be up-sized to a 16". Not sure if that is still the case.

sorry for a change in direction....but, what is the issue with widening wheel to the "outside of centerline in order to maintain the original backspacing? Is it a manufacturing limitation or a structural concern?

The farther you go out beyond the centerline the more pressure you exert on the bearings. As you stated with structural. Wide wheels and big tires are harder on bearings and axles but as you know we are always pushing the limits in that arena..

reviving this thread....just got an LC100...have 18" tundra steel wheels...bought an fj40 dog dish hubcap...best and most affordable way to mount? any suggestions?

Just to tag this for others, I am making custom clips to use the hubcaps on Tacoma 16" wheels. These are not a bent steel clip. They are 15n20 steel that has been annealed, shaped and then heat treated springs. I made them a little more robust than the factory versions. These will also work on the deeper offset Tacoma wheels with the smooth sides. Two mounting holes instead of one so that when riveted, welded or Pop riveted on they will not move.

clips.jpg

clips1.jpg

clips2.jpg

Here are a few more pics on my Mock up 16" Tacoma wheel. Works perfectly.

clips3.jpg

clips4.jpg

clips5.jpg

clips6.jpg

Just to tag this for others, I am making custom clips to use the hubcaps on Tacoma 16" wheels. These are not a bent steel clip. They are 15n20 steel that has been annealed, shaped and then heat treated springs. I made them a little more robust than the factory versions. These will also work on the deeper offset Tacoma wheels with the smooth sides. Two mounting holes instead of one so that when riveted, welded or Pop riveted on they will not move.

View attachment 2189910

View attachment 2189911

View attachment 2189912

price for a set of 4 rims? And how do you order?

can you show the back of your hubcap with the width measurement of the back hubcap opening

I'll try to dig them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom