Restoration decisions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll have to post some photos tomorrow, but on the inside of the c-shaped section of the frame member, it is flaking in parts. There is also a smaller than dime sized hole from rot. I think it was originally a hole from manufacturing, but it is larger. No stress cracks, most of it is covered in grease and thus doesn't rust all that much. Just picked up some stuff for it today. I saw a 1963 frame that was sandblasted and coated in Alabama where my parents live, but I'm still in VA, and my 40 is a `79...haven't checked compatibility.

Yep, frame repair by IPOR up in Fredericksburg or getting a new one is the question. I know how much more wonderful it would be to have a new frame all shiny, but I can't seem to find one close.

Ok, I know that I've been delinquent here, sorry for the delay. I have taken some photos and I'll post when I get home today. I found a few options for new frames (one or two are new fab without VIN--issue?) and some used ones. No way to know how bad the frame is until I take everything off. So, I found a storage unit with power and such and I'm going out to rent it today. Let the breakdown commence. The perches are what seem worst; that and the front channels right where the bumper is riveted. Other than that, there is no real bad rot. God willing, I can reinforce the frame and then coat it, but you all are right, it might cost more.

Pending cost-benefit analysis, I will make a decision there.

Pending cost-benefit analysis, I will make a decision there.

Lucky for you, fellow Mudders are here to help you make your cost-benefit analysis an OBJECTIVE one.:slap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom