Replacing Sun Roof Weather Strip, how many bananas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2004 LC and a small leak just started in the rear center of my sun roof. I have checked the four drain holes and the are all flowing freely.

I searched what to do next on this site and I see where you can relplace the weather strip and the thread says it is really easy and only takes 20-30 minutes. I called the dealership to order the weather strip and I also just checked what they would charge to do the work? Two seperate dealerships said it is very labor intensive and it is 2.5-3 hour job. WTF? The guy on the thread that repaced his own said it was "cake" and only took 20-30 minutes says he still has a small drip though, so my question is this.

Is it worth getting ripped off at the dealership to make sure the job is done to spec. and then if it still leaks they are liable to make it stop leaking, or do it my self and hope the leak stops?

Last edited:
think i'm having the same problem and am also curious about the install $$$$$

what you pay for the strip?

There was a post on here earlier, I think its supposed to be pretty easy. I am about to tackle it myself.

You may try getting the toyota part ($40-60 for the seal) and then finding someone besides the dealer to do it. Some auto upholstery shops or auto glass guys can handle sunroof seals, though some glass guys stay away from sunroofs.

I have a similar issue in my 2000 - drain holes clear, water getting thru the outer seal and dripping straight into the cabin. Got a quote for $150 labor only to replace the seal, from an auto upholstery and accessories shop here in Oakland. Here's the link so you can look for something similar in your location: http://www.californiacovers.com/.

I read the same thread about it being easy but the fact that the guy's still got a little leak is a bit of a curve ball.

My short term fix has been a thin bead of clear silicone around the seal up top. Feels a little ghetto for a "luxury" vehicle but it has worked so far and may keep me from really getting after it until next winter.

One thing for certain is that worrying about leaks whenever it rains just sucks unless it's vintage, in which case it's part of the fun...

I have a 2004 LC and a small leak just started in the rear center of my sun roof. I have checked the four drain holes and the are all flowing freely.

I searched what to do next on this site and I see where you can relplace the weather strip and the thread says it is really easy and only takes 20-30 minutes. I called the dealership to order the weather strip and I also just checked what they would charge to do the work? Two seperate dealerships said it is very labor intensive and it is 2.5-3 hour job. WTF? The guy on the thread that repaced his own said it was "cake" and only took 20-30 minutes says he still has a small drip though, so my question is this.

Is it worth getting ripped off at the dealership to make sure the job is done to spec. and then if it still leaks they are liable to make it stop leaking, or do it my self and hope the leak stops?

I saw the same post and wonder if it was so "cake" why does it still leak for the poster? I had two separate shops replace two separate sunroof gaskets and it was a cluster all around. What is so very simple in theory and should be real easy for pros but even they mess it up. unless you know someone who has had success with a glass or autobody shop then take it the dealer. My local dealer tried to tell me you couldn't buy the gasket separately from the sunroof glass so I didn't want to take them time to educate them otherwise.

Bottom line is if the gasket doesn't adhere to the sunroof frame properly then it will leak.

You may want to try using silicone lube on the rubber gasket before replacing it. Remove each of he side garnish pieces, remove the four nuts, lube it and slide it back in. Also, make sure the side to side and front to back as we'll as the height adjustments are correct.

Sent from an outhouse

I am in the midst of replacing my sunroof gasket and its not an easy task. I tried using silicone adhesive and that doesnt work, wont hold the gasket in place. I picked up some 3M gasket adhesive and that is working but not totally. Clamps, time, patience, etc are required for this job.

I did the gasket lube before attempting this job and it was a temporary fix. Knowing what I know now, I would have adjusted the height up a bit with the 8 screws around the sunroof, this would could have sealed the small leak up and kept me from removing the original gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom