replacing fuel tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
71 fj40: i replaced the rusty metal tank with a new poly tank. the hookups are different, so i cut the 90 elbow off the filler and used a radiator hose to make the bend, but it's twisted and isn't quite right. i'm wondering if anyone has found a proper gas hose that fits right. i also used the old sending unit, but it doesn't have a tight seal so there's a gas smell in the cab. any tips would be appreciated.

I'm still looking around for a viable alternative for the filler neck. The stock hose is still in good shape, but it is really loose on the new tank's filler neck. For now, I have a full, band-style hose clamp on there...which seems to be holding things together all right.

I used a Dremel to smooth off the top screw holes for the sending unit, as they were pretty jagged. Unfortunately, I still had that lovely gas smell. I went back a month later, roughed up the plastic around the sending unit opening with a sanding disc on my Dremel, and then put some silicone above & below the sending unit gasket. This really cut down on the gas smell, but there is still a little there.

My next step will be to pull all of the brass fittings off of the tank & seal them as well. Although, I've been debating on whether to try teflon tape or just stick with some silicone. I am also going to go through the whole evap seperator setup to make sure that all those lines are correctly tightened up & that the fresh air side of the evap seperator is not plugged up.

They sell aftermarket fuel filler tubing or what ever Its called you only need about 10".Its stiff as hell fits tight thou,But works good just warm It up and form It

I had both problems-gas smell and filler neck when I installed my CCOT poly tank.
For the filler neck I bought an adapter sleeve from Napa, slid it on the tank, and then slid the original stock pipe on top of that. Very snug, tightened it up with a good hose clamp and have not had any fume problems since.
In regards to the fuel sender, I first tried the new one with the new gasket, holes didn't match up right at all. Eventually ended up with the old sender, new gasket I think, and just took out the air ratchet and forced it good and tight. No more problems there any more. Could seal it I guess with silicone or something. Not necessary if you get it tight enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom