Replacing Front Side Marker Bulb

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Cris, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Cris

Cris

I am looking for some help replacing the light bulb in my right front side marker (the amber light housing next to the headlights).

The owners manual makes it look simple; unscrew phillips head screw from under the hood, pop housing forward, and replace bulb. My problem is that there is obviously something securing the bottom of the housing. I can force the top of it out a quarter inch or so, however, the bottom is not budging.

I don't want to force anything and end up breaking something. What is securing the bottom of the housing and how to I release it?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Cj80cruiser

Cj80cruiser

You have to pull it or snatch it...Thats how.
  3. xingji

xingji

I just pulled it out, but I did struggle on getting a good grip on the housing. Try to pull on the bottom portion.
  4. acflyguy18

acflyguy18

there is a little stud on the bottom that help secure it. Just pull and it will come off.
  5. lndcruz

lndcruz

just pull it hard. Thought I broke it the first time I took it off.
  6. 96r50

96r50

What everyone else said. Just make sure to pull straight forward, not outwards or upwards. And remember that the wiring is only yay-long, so stop pulling when the housing comes out :D
  7. Michael Hanson

Michael Hanson

They stick,pull straight out.dont twist. Mike
  8. Flank

Flank TLCA Independent Rep - Central and Mountain States

Don't feel bad, I wrestled with trying to find the hidden screw or bold for almost 45 minutes before I posted a question about it. I could have sworn that there was a bolt up there that i could see but could not get too... They someone told me just to pull.
  9. wxm

wxm SILVER Star

Been there done that. It was before I discovered that the experts on this board. I struggled, and was so afraid of breaking the housing that I ended bringing the car to the dealer. A $20 lesson! :bang:
  10. 4x4CPOSEADOG

4x4CPOSEADOG SILVER Star

Ouch!!!

The easy way to do it is to remove the screw on top, remove the two screws on turn signal lense below the headlight, pull the lense out, and now you have access to the bottom stud and have something to grab to pull the sidemarker lense out straight without even worrying you will break a thing.
  11. Cris

Cris

Thanks a bunch guys!

This board is a great resource to get helpful hints.

12. Lugboot

Lugboot

If you lay under the truck you can see the stud that holds it on. I reached up with a long screw driver and used it to leverage it off from behind. Made me feel much better than yanking the heck out of it from the front. And I didn't break anything.

Good luck!
  13. Cris

Cris

Thanks, Lugboot!