replacement interior panels 1st gen? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does anybody know a reproduction plastic for rear panels on 1st gen. runner. I dont want clapped out used.

lol. not that i know of. you are either going to have to look for good clean used ones, paint the ones you have if they are not banged up, or build new ones out of 1/8" aluminum sheet like i did.

I keep bugging Kevin at wagongear.com, he has the templates but hasn't put them into production yet. His stuff is $$ but AMAZING quality and done RIGHT ! Plus he's a MUD vendor.

here are few quick pics of what i did. (i think. hopefully they load).

anyway, they are far from done. still need to cut holes for access panels and cap the ends of the radius portion. but you get the idea.

i also made an aluminum panel out of 3/8" plate for the rear gate. still need to stab some holes in it before mounting though.
P1190016.jpg
P1190017.jpg
P1190018.jpg

so far i only have one tiny rattle when the speakers are turned up pretty loud. its right below the speaker. which makes sense cause if you look, all of the stock mounts are on the top of the panel.

the factory panels had these little spring steel metal clips to clip the bottom on. no positive fasteners like the plastic clips at all. i used them in the same manner on my panels, but i fear the heavy sheet metal has so much inertia on bumps it overcomes there "springyness". so i plan to add one or two more riv-nuts to the bottom lip. there is plenty of room, i already measured.

Bryan89
Could you please post up some pics of your progress on the metal side panels?

I'm in the planning stages of making some out of 16gauge steel with the hopes of some good secure storage areas.
I'm curious to see if you've made a metal middle panel on the passenger side that covers the fuel hose area and what you've done for the seatbelt slit for the retracting front seatbelts.

thanks

Bryan89
Could you please post up some pics of your progress on the metal side panels?

I'm in the planning stages of making some out of 16gauge steel with the hopes of some good secure storage areas.
I'm curious to see if you've made a metal middle panel on the passenger side that covers the fuel hose area and what you've done for the seatbelt slit for the retracting front seatbelts.

thanks

devilman,
unfortunately i have not made much progress on these and they are almost in the same state as they were in the above pics. i have since had to rebuild my entire engine, so this little project took a back seat.

as far as covering the fuel hose and seat belt retractors, i didnt plan on making panels for the forward part of the vehicle only the rear cargo area. wanted to keep the stock look there. so the factory panels are staying in on my truck.

however, i have created a solid aluminum 1/4" thick plate to replace the carpeted cardboard panel on the tailgate, but have not installed it yet. it will be much sturdier for large hind ends sitting on the tailgate.

you mentioned steel plates for yours, I strongly advise against that. I was skeptical of using aluminum even. For one, its going to add a lot of unnecessary weight. two, if you ever get in any kind of accident from the front or rear, or even the side maybe, the mass of the steel plate would easily shear off the nut-certs in the body and creating a flying knife blade, headed straight for your back. I only used the aluminum cause it was free.

Bryan
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't considered the possibility of the hardware shearing with the increased mass of the steel v cardboard. I just happen to have some free 16 gauge steel that I could use. My goal is to turn the interior panel areas into some good secure and concealed storage areas similiar to what 80s guys do to their rigs. The 1st gen 4runners have the potential for greater volume though. Perhaps I could partially mount the panels to the rear rollbar and somehow tie in the rear hardtop to make it all more rigid.

Dmh

*You'd both be surprised at how some well placed dynamat pieces will kill noise and stiffen a panel.

Also, you all could just go the fiberglass route, try and see if Corey at toyotafiberglass.com has given any thought to making some, tell him NorCalBorn/Shane recommended him for it. You'd just need a decent set of panels to make a mold out of.

Also, you all could just go the fiberglass route, try and see if Corey at toyotafiberglass.com has given any thought to making some, tell him NorCalBorn/Shane recommended him for it. You'd just need a decent set of panels to make a mold out of.

yeah , I heard they have the pieces , and are going to be building NEW pieces .. there just so darn busy all the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom