1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing steering stabilizer

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Photo_Cruiser, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Photo_Cruiser

Photo_Cruiser

Some say this is tricky? If you've been reading, my maintenance is like Vegas, some days good some days uh-oh

I was gonna undo bolt on right, separate with a fork, take off mounting plate on the left, put that plate into a vice so I could bang that side apart with a fork, reinstall the OME into the mounting plate, put plate back onto rig, install right side of OME stabilizer, and be done with it.

Is this in the ballpark, I started pulling it off, w/out the fork tool and had no luck, Acme's directions suggest a fork splitter, so I got one and am going to have another try. It looks like you put the fork between the metal mount tab and the bushing and just have at it with a hammer, to separate the two?

any advice?

2. Junk

Junk

2 arm gear puller from Sears - even a craftsman club sale going on this week. :beer:

3. Hltoppr

Hltoppr SILVER Star

Media:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    Unbolt the bracket on the front frame member, get a pickle fork and a BFH and whack the living $h!t out of the other end to pop the stabilizer off. The old one will be toast after this....

Installation is easy.

-H-

4. Rogue

Rogue

The 2-arm is the way to go like Junk said. I still have a scar on my right hand from when it finally came apart during my install, and that was in back in December.

5. cruiserman

cruiserman

Recommend you save the fork for pickling, and use a tie rod end puller. It's a 10 minute job.

6. Rogue

Rogue

The 2-arm is much more fun to watch when it finally gives.

Ping... and stuff goes flying.