Removing steering gearbox seal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Haynes manual I have only describes how to remove the gearbox from the vehicle but it does the breakdown the dissasembly of the box. How do I change out the seal? It looks like there is a metal retaining ring.

I can't fully remember what I did when I did mine, but I think I just belted a big screwdriver down next to the shaft which bent the old seal, then I just levered the screwdriver around popping the seal out, this totally buggered the seal, but the end result was what i wanted.

Sam
'79bj40

It looks like there is a metal retainer that holds the seal in place. It doesn't seem like the retainer wants to move. &nbsp:Do I have to take the gearbox apart andtake the seal out from the inside?

You mean like a split-ring retainer? on the outside of the box? Are you talking about the main oil seal around the output shaft which the pitman arm is attached to? Mine just had the metal re-inforced rubber oil seal holding itself in, I didn't have to remove it from the vehicle to change the seal. But I can tell you its a lot more work if you have to take the box apart.

Sam
'79bj40

What box you talking about? The seal on the manual box just pops out with a prying tool.

The seal on the PS boxes come out after you disassemble it and remove the sector shaft.

Okay I guess the metal ring I was looking at was the actual seal. The new seal I have has a black rubber coating on the outside so I was confused. Not to mention Im learning this stuff at the same time. I did get the old seal out and the new one in. Thanks for the input and help everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom