1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Spark Plugs (Hot or Cold)

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by ShawnTRD, Nov 12, 2010.

?

Best to remove spark plugs from a:

1. Cold Engine

64.0%
  2. Warm Engine

8.0%
  3. Doesn't Matter

28.0%
  1. ShawnTRD

ShawnTRD New Member

Looking for advice on removing stark plugs. I've seen people say both. Remove from a warm engine, and remove from a cold engine. What do you think is best?
  2. Flank

Flank TLCA Independent Rep - Central and Mountain States

You will have a hell of a time removing them hot, IMHO. you need to remove a few plastic covers which can be done prior, but it is easiest to get them out in the 1fzfe if you have the intake hose out of there, and that 6th one is a doozy. by the time you get to it, the engine might still be warm, and you might be burned.
  3. grizzlygibbs

grizzlygibbs New Member

I don't know what advantage being warm would be... I usually have removed spark plugs from different vehicles when thy are cold.
  4. bbb18c1

bbb18c1 Regular Member

I would pull them when cold. I remember when i was doing my apprenticeship, we were told to do it when cold if possible. They would tell us horror stories about removing them when hot and hot being able to thread them back in again when it cooled off.

It was something about the aluminum head and the steel threads on the spark plug. They taught us that the threads in the head can get galled when the spark plug holes are too snug due to heat expansion.

Dunno if its true of not, but iI always try to do it after it has cooled a bit.
  5. Scamper

Scamper New Member

Was in a hurry one time and tried to swap the plugs on a hot engine. Laying down on a hot engine is not a good idea...:eek:
  6. BrianE

BrianE Regular Member

I've always changed them when the engine is cold.
  7. arndog123

arndog123 New Member

Yup, it's a lot easier w/ a cold engine.:)
  8. dropthattaco

dropthattaco Regular Member

I think cold is the way to go, aluminum get's softer when it's hot, and it's easier to pull the threads out. I.E. if the spark plug's a little seized, it'll pull the threads out of a warm cylinder head before a cold one.