Removing Rubberized Liquid Bed Liner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am considering a '76 that the PO did a do it yourself bedliner in. It is not Linex or Rhino Liner-looks like a rubberized cheapy can of stuff you might buy at a discount store. So how does everyone reccomend I remove it without sandblasting as it is inside the vehicle(top is on). Acetone with a scraper?? Solvent??

Try a heat gun if it looks rubberized or even a hand held butane torch.

Then scrape it off Ken? After dryed out and with no heat could I try some acetone to remove residue??

Then scrape it off Ken? After dryed out and with no heat could I try some acetone to remove residue??

It is in the tub floor and top of wheel wells, also floorboards

Try and scrape it off while it is hot. Just be careful if you are going to use a hand held butane torch that it doesnt heat up too much and start a fire.

Gotcha. I want to remove this stuff as it makes the rig look really bad when in reality the body is very good.

I like the stock look with a good quality rubber mat

I have heard people having good luck with a power washer for removing the cheap stuff, if they did not prep properly sometimes you can get under it with a power washer and get it to just start pealing up. Best thing is if it does not work, it is only water.

You can look at my build, I scraped all of it off as it was super thick. Chisel and hammer.

I had something similar in the tub of my cruiser (herculiner). Man I hated that stuff. I found some rust and pitting underneath, in areas where the bedliner looked totally fine... so keep your expectations reasonable going into this! I was pretty bummed.

I didn't want to use a chemical stripper because of all of the seams between panels- didn't want any stripper staying behind afterwards and causing problems with primer and paint. Maybe I was overly cautious.

So I just got some cheap chisels from home depot and scraped most of it out. The key is to keep the chisels sharp... that means touching them up every 10 minutes or so (frequent sharpening is the downside of cheap chisels, but then again, you are scraping against metal...) There will be nooks and crannies that will be hard to get into though. You just have to be patient and scrape/wire brush it out.

Any residue that's left came off with a wire wheel on the angle grinder. Just use good ventilation a respirator because the wire wheel will heat up the bedliner and you'll get a bit of smoking and fumes. You can't really expect to remove it without damaging the paint underneath, so be prepared to prime and paint afterwards.

It's a crappy job, but worth it in the end.

With the top on I would be careful of fumes from any chemicals you use. Have all the doors open and fan to keep the air exchanging.

Need some pics of what it looks like ATM

Not sure how easy yours will peel up, but I took a razer blade and pliers (well...sheet metal bending pliers as they have a lot of surface area to grap and peel versus ripping) and went to town the other night. Good ol' elbow grease...
image.jpg
image.jpg

I saw somewhere that a guy was using dry ice to peel up factory sound deadening/insulation. It made the rubber so brittle it was able to be broken up and scraped off. Looked like it worked pretty good.. You can get in pellets the size of peas. No nasty solvents or burning rubber...

If it is Herculiner just put it in the sun for a year, stuff is real hard to get off but even with their UV protection the sun basically evaporates the stuff. Ask me how I know!!

I'll bet a power scraper would do well on the flat surfaces. Haven't tried it on bedliner but I've removed a lot of glued on items with it.

Thanks SO much to all of my buds on here!!!! Now I know I can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom