1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing rear wheel cone washer

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by medtro, Jun 23, 2003.

1. medtro

medtro

When removing cone washers from the rear wheel of a 80, the FSM says hit the axle center with brass punch. Any ideas why not hit the studs like in the front?

medtro

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Supporting Vendor Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    I smack (smart taps) the edge of the flange with a 16 oz machinists hammer.  :G  The reason they want you to smack the studs on the front is because there isn't a nice flange in the center to pound on. Hitting it in the center spreads the force out. Remember, hit it, don't HIT IT............

BTW I did my rears yesterday. Don't ignore them, you may not like what you see if you do.................. :ugh:

3. Beowulf

Beowulf

>> ... you may not like what you see if you do <<

Or what you *don't* see... wheel bearing grease.

Medtro,
    I don't hit the studs (front or rear.)  A brass hammer works well when struck against the side of the flange. Loosen the nuts but leave about 2 threads so the cone washers don't fly all over the garage.  "You could loose an eye doing that."  :G
    -B-

4. Chris_Geiger

Chris_Geiger

I just pulled mine out a couple weeks ago and they popped right out after a couple hits on the out side of the flange.

5. medtro

medtro

I left the nuts on when I hit the studs so that I will have my both eyes to do the other wheels.

I opened both rear wheels yesterday, and I like everything I saw in there. Ok, I repacked them a few weeks ago, and they still look good.