Removing Rear Bumper Cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a busy week. Leaving Friday to do two trails I have been itching to do for a while. I always worry about catching my rear bumper cover on a climb. I am doing Poughkeepsie Gulch and Black Bear. I have caught the trailer hitch before. That is fine. Anyway, how hard is it to remove. If it's like the running boards that ends up breaking a bunch of clips then it's not worth the trouble. But if it's fairly easy I may take it off just so I don't have to worry about it. Any suggestions on getting it off easy enough. 2004 GX if that matters.

Since you are in Colorado Springs, you may want to visit with Hefty Fabworks. They have a great set of aftermarket bumpers that would serve that purpose well. They may also have some insight for your removal and reinstallation of the existing cover. They are a great support to the GX and Toyota community.

Since you are in Colorado Springs, you may want to visit with Hefty Fabworks. They have a great set of aftermarket bumpers that would serve that purpose well. They may also have some insight for your removal and reinstallation of the existing cover. They are a great support to the GX and Toyota community.

I talked to him just before the FJ summit. Ran into him at a local Walmart by chance. Nice guy. He is a working guy. Hate to bother him with my petty little things that don't earn him any money.

good luck on Poughkeepsie Gulch, its been raining a lot around here and Poughkeepsie Gulch can be very slippery when wet.

waiting to hear how it goes.

Think I will make it up the wall if it's dry?

I have been told by guys in the local club that a GX can make it up the wall if dry. I have not yet done it in my GX, in my Jeep, I had front and rear locked and 12psi in the tires, walked right up.

So I normally run 30psi in my "C" load rated KO2's. I was thinking of going to 15psi for the wall. Is that too low for 265/70/17's you think?

You can make it. That is a fine pressure...just make sure you get a good line to avoid high center

IT WAS NOT DRY. No one was making it up. Even locked with 35's. A huge trough has developed in front of the wall. So you sink into that and hit your bumper cover. At least I did. I could have stacked rocks but it was still likely a no go. Your tires would fill up with what looked like drywall compound just before you hit the wall. It was raining most the day we attempted it. I need to cut my bumper covers or get some new bumpers. I just don't want to spend the money on the bumpers and I am not sure if I want to cut them either. Afraid I won't like the look. I will post some pictures of Black Bear and Poughkeepsie later in another post. Other then the wall, I completed both with out incident. Black Bear is really no big deal. I did two wheel it on the way too the steps. That doesn't bother me. Done it plenty in the past. The steps where easy really. Even slightly wet. I went down to 20psi for the first time. WAY more comfortable and tons of traction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom