Removing Nails from Cinder Block

Discussion in 'Workshop and Home Improvement' started by El Cazador, Jul 11, 2009.

1. El Cazador

El Cazador

The owner said I could clear out some of the old work benches & shelves so I could have more room. The 2x4's were attached with a nail gun. Big frickin' nails too. What's the best way to get the 2x4 off w/o destroying the cinder block.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. KLF

KLF Frame waxer

Cat's Paw and a big honkin' pry bar.

You may end up pulling the heads off the nails. Just get the boards off, then snap the nails off flush with the blocks.

3. D'Animal

D'Animal Rescuer of Beagle and Landcruisers Moderator

I would start with a catspaw or prybar to see if the nail will come out. If not, I would use a saws all and cut the board and the plate from around the nail head. I would then use the catspaw or prybar to see if the nail will come out again. If not, cut the head off the nail and drive it all the way in.

4. nat88toy

nat88toy

C4 is your friend :hillbilly: agree with both statements above thats the way i would do it

5. jellyroll

jellyroll

That nail and plate looks as if its been shot in with some sort of powder actuated fastening gun, ( Ramset or something like it). If you have to use anything larger than a flat pry bar behind the lumber, and have to use substantial force, the odds are fairly high that your going to at least pop a small part of the block face off. If thats fine, find the biggest damn pry bar you can find.
    To get the cleanest look, Sawsall the nail behind the board, or split the board around the nail and then snap them off as noted earlier. Remember if those little bastards were put in properly, they're meant to stay in there under stressfull conditions, and their going to fight to come out.

6. fsusteve

fsusteve

sawzall, otherwise you'll get familiar with stucco patch.

7. splitshot

splitshot SILVER Star

4 1/2, or a die grinder with a cut off blade. Take the head first, and after the lumber is pulled, cut the shank flush with the wall.

8. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

x2...

9. bkfj40

bkfj40 SILVER Star

it's only gaining you 1 1/2" - incorporate it into the design of what you want to do.

work smarter, not harder.

bk

10. wob

wob

Grind the nail heads off, remove the board, then grind the nails down.