1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing locking hitch pin when key is lost.

Discussion in 'Trailer Tech' started by AATLAS1X, Jun 25, 2010.

1. AATLAS1X

AATLAS1X Supporting Vendor

I lost the key to my hitch pin and was not excited as the key was the round style.

So my tech had a great idea based on the vibrating tumbler shaker used in all the spy movies, so he hit it with an air hammer on the rod end, all for about 3 seconds.

Ill be damned when the lock end shot off the pin.

:clap::clap::clap:

Shane

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. Hoochie Time

Hoochie Time Regular Member

I'm not surprised. A few years ago I bought an enclosed four place snowmobile trailer and four of the heaviest duty Master pad locks I could find ($60.00 bucks each) two for each door. I then went sledding, at the end of the day I realized I had locked my keys in the trailer, duh. One fellow in the parking area came over with a battery powered zip cutting wheel (cost under $100.00) and cut two of the locks off in under two minutes for each lock.

Locks are truly for honest people.
  3. seapotato

seapotato New Member

if the round style key is like those old style Kryptonite bike locks, they say a bic pen will open any of them..

there was a big recall I guess, people selling bic pens on ebay as universal bike lock keys.
  4. meat

meat New Member

4 inch angle grinder

with a cut off wheel
  5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon New Member

I used a blue tip wrench on mine a couple of weeks ago.
  6. PAToyota

PAToyota New Member

I've cut two off that had rusted to the point of the key no longer working. Have to try the air hammer next time.
  7. 1BiGGuy

1BiGGuy Regular Member

I've had two of those style that wouldn't open after being locked and left on a vehicle for some time. A couple of blows from a hammer on the key end and they just snapped in two no problem.