Recommendations on respray in Northern CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMHO you're better off not painting it at all if your considering a low quality/low cost repaint. That hurts the value more than just leaving it alone IMHO. The cheapo paint jobs can peel, crack, and fade quickly, not to mention that they paint over all the rubber gaskets (flares, door handles, etc) which makes removing those parts in the future about impossible without damaging the paint.

Preventing rust happens in the prep work, before the paint is sprayed. That's the part that is skipped on cheap paint jobs.

Generally rust happens from the inside out, so doing a wax or oil spray to the back and inside of the panels will do more than a fresh coat of paint on top of mostly intact paint. If you already have rust showing you will need more than a paintjob to make it last.

Linex will ruin the value for sure. Rust generally starts from the inside out, so check the rear quarter panels; water gets in those areas when the small gaskets for each hidden clip under the belt molding deteriorates. You can remove the belt molding carefully and plug the holes underneath with something like 3M strip caulk or another non-hardening sealant then snap the molding back in place If your vehicle was always licensed in California it would be unlikely to have serious rust issues. If there are any scratches with bare metal showing you could touch those areas up with primer and matching paint to stop any rust from the outside in. There are a few different products on the market that can be used to rust-proof the various cavities where rust can start.

Prep it yourself and coat it in Monstaliner or Liner Xtreme in the color of your choice. I was going to do mine this weekend but its going to be too hot for it to cure right and I don't want to try and do it twice.

Hey Dan, I had the same concern as you a couple years ago. I knew I wanted to deal with my broken clear coat and faded paint. I didn't need showroom quality since I was gonna be actually driving off-road. I didn't have any place or time to paint to do my own paint job, didn't want bed liner or monstaliner, and couldn't pay over $6k to have a local shop do it, so I rolled the dice on Maaco after someone I know recommended the San Jose shop. A little hesitant walking in, mainly from all the hate Maaco gets on here. But talked with Elias and felt confident leaving my baby with him for a week!

Quoted $2300 out the door for their 2 stage paint with UV protectant and sealer. No body work and heavy prep on hood and roof. Like I said, didn't have too many options so I went for it. Been two years now and I still get props on the job and am happy with it. Ain't perfect, but looks mighty fine from 5 ft away.

When I brought it in I cleaned the truck and removed as much as I could off the body. Lights, grill, rack, bumpers, badges. If I did it again, I'd remove the flares and have them paint them off the truck and also paint the fender, that way I could run flareless or with flares and they wouldn't paint the gasket.

PM me if you wanna come by and check it out. If anything, raised the value of the truck. But who sells their 80 anyway?
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice respray. What brand of paint did Maaco use? Did they match Toyota "Medium Red Pearl" or was it a "close but not quite" match?

I gave them paint code 3H4 and they matched it. It was a urethane paint and two stages. Again, I was stressing about it matching also but it's pretty damn close to what my 23 yr old 3H4 looked. The metallic, or pearl in the new paint changes a little in different light compared to my original. More orange highlight in bright sun like in the pic above and goes to a deeper purple in shade.

Thanks for the quick reply. Mine is also 3H4 but has had a pretty low-brow repaint sometime in it's life to address clear-coat psoriasis and it's obvious from the painted gaskets and seals and poor masking on the roof rack that it was a low dollar special. I've got new gaskets for the fender flares and will be pulling all the trim and door window seals to get a good surface to sand down for fresh, shiny paint. All it takes is time and money....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom