Recommendations for Satellite Phone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BadReligion

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking for a Sat Phone so I can stay in touch with my office (emergency basis only) when out on the trail for extended periods of time. I usually take three 5 day offroad trips per year where cell phone coverage is non existent, coupled with a few 3-4 day hunting trips in the fall. In addition to being able to reach my office and communicate with patients if needed, an added bonus would be the ability to call for help should something go awry. The latter is a high priority to my wife.

I've done a little research and it sounds like the three main players are Globalstar, Iridium, and Inmarstat. All are pricey but each have specific advantages/disadvantages regarding signal, coverage, and overall features. Right now I'm leaning towards Globalstar as I don't plan on using this phone outside of NA and prefer a line of sight signal (important in steep mountainous terrain).

Anything else to consider or recommendations?

Thanks,

Kris

@BadReligion You can rent phones by the day from various places to try them out. We found that just renting one for a particular trip made sense last year. I'm pretty sure this is where we rented: Iridium Satellite Phone Rentals

That's not a bad idea. Though I ultimately would like to purchase one, it makes sense to try a few out before making a final decision.

We had rented one about 8 years ago when we were going to Dusy. That's the year that the sector shaft was sheared off on one of the 80 series steering boxes. We used the phone to have one purchased at the recycle yard in Sacramento, and was waiting at the trailhead 2 days later when we got out. The field fix got us off the trail but no-one trusted that on the freeway at speed. We actually installed the new box at the White Bark vista parking area.

Long story, but renting one for specific applications does work ok. Buying one + the service might be pretty $$.

Unless you plan on using it all the time and are out for extended days each trip, you are better off renting for those trips that you feel you need it on. The phones while they don't change often do change enough over time that it might not be compatible by the time you need it. Also the service if you prepay does expire within a year in most cases.

I did notice GlobalStar was offering free phones and they seem to be one of the less expensive providers in general. With a 1 year plan that gives you around 450 minutes, the cost is $780, which includes the phone. Then the following year you can switch to a contract with 450 minutes only for $480/yr. Since I can expense this through my business, that saves another ~36% so once I have the phone my yearly cost would be down to $315. At that point, I think it would be both more cost effective and more convienent to own the phone vs renting as needed.

I still plan on renting a globalstar phone to try out their service before making a commitment. I have heard mixed things about dropped calls and signal quality, depending on location.

Just wanted to update this thread;

I did end up purchasing a GlobalStar phone/contract after trying one out over Memorial weekend. Wife and I were in a pretty remote part of NE Nevada and made quiet a few calls to test out signal strength and clarity. I was really impressed with how clear the phone sounded on both ends. Everyone I called said the same thing. Never had a single dropped call and had no problem finding a signal with the antenna up. Compared to todays "smart" phones, the sat phone really reminds me of a late 90's Nokia. No color, no fancy display, and minimal texting capabilities. I'm fine with that as I don't need those extras. Battery life was decent but if you leave it in the truck with the antenna up, it will use up all juice searching for a signal in under 1 day.

Only complaint, and this probably occurs with any sat phone...is that in order to be on "standby" to receive calls, you need to have the antenna up and pointed to the sky. With careful placement and strategic parking, you can put in on the dash and it will find a signal out the front windshield. Overall, it worked well.

I know you said you already purchased one, but for others looking into this idea I can give you some of my personal experience. In Iraq/Yemen/Afghanistan I always carried a Thuraya phone with me (older Hughes version with docking station - looked like the Nokia 5110 phones). What was nice you can buy air time on scratch cards or online so you only pay for what you need to use.

The thing they have now besides new fancy phones with hotspots is sleeve options where you can slide it on your Iphone or Samsung phone, even though I dont have to get shot at for work anymore I still have to travel all over the Middle East and Cent/West Africa so was thinking of picking up one of these before my next trip.

SatSleeve for Android

I have been using Iridium phones for over 15 years. The call quality sucks, but they work and they cover the parts of Asia I work in. I really want to try Globalstar or Thuraya but they don't have the coverage I need.

A side note, sat phones are freakin' expensive to run. Iridium minutes are expensive and expire. You then have to pay something like 50¢ on the dollar to re-up them. I haven't looked at other mfg's plans and hopefully they are better.

I used Thuraya and Iridium in Africa and the Middle East both worked fairly well I like Thuraya with the pre paid option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom