Rebuilt original power steering pump fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week, I rebuilt my power steering pump since it stopped working and was leaking little bit. After putting new belts a few weeks ago, I worried that the ATF fluid would drip to the belts and start slipping. I didn't find a thread on rebuilding it here. Maybe, it is too straight forward.

I tried to take off the pump with the bracket in it. In the process, I stripped a bolt facing firewall. I focused on taking off the stripped bolt for a long time. Then, I realized I should have taken off the bracket. Everything went well after that. Even taking off the stripped bolt was easy. I hit it with a chisel and a hammer to get it loose after trying everything else that we know.

When you are rebuilding it, take off the shaft very careful and take it out slow. There are many small springs. I lost a few. Luckily, I bought an extra pump from this forum for $70 in case. I actually had to rebuild the pump I purchased here because existing pump was little damaged when I took it a part. I will post a photo if I remember. I bought a kit from CruiserCoprs for $50. It come with some o-rings and a bushing. Anyway, for $120 total, I rebuilt the whole thing, and everything works, but nothing leaks.

I installed the bracket first and put the pump later. That was a mistake. Put the bracket and pump together. There is a rear bolt that WILL not go in with the bracket in it. I have to take it apart again for this bolt, but I have been driving it without it for a week now. Maybe this weekend, I will put that bolt. It involves a few steps to get to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom