Rear Wheel Bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took apart my rear wheel bearing and saw that my MAF kit didn't come with the inner axle seal, (the one that goes in the axle) :mad: I had allready took apart the bearings :'(. So I replaced the bearings and seals. There was gear oil in the bearing like others have had.
I ordered the seal but does that seal keep the gear oil from entering the hub?
Is that seal usualy replaced with service?
If gear oil gets into the new greased bearings, should I repack them when I get the seal?
kurt
this is my SST for the wheel bearing nut

Don't you just love having to repack the Wheel Bearings every 20,000km. :D :'( Much worse than having to change all Gear Oil every 30,000km. :-\

Kurt-

"I ordered the seal but does that seal keep the gear oil from entering the hub?
Is that seal usualy replaced with service?"

I believe (not 100% sure) it does keep the gear oil from the hub, just as they do on the front.

I know most here have suggested that they be replaced with the service.

If you get much oil in the hub and bearings, I would re-pack, better safe than sorry, and not much effort.

I have the seals, gaskets, etc. and am doing mine this weekend.

I purchased the SST from OTC via local NAPA store. $29.99 + tax.

There is a ring around the axle from the seal. I hope I can set the new seal in a bit to avoid the ring. Is there a Speedi Sleeve for the axle?

thanks kurt

Is there a specified interval for repacking wheel bearing on the LC? I missed something somewhere. :-[

Cary

The manual shows 30k mi. I think most people (not on this list) forget the rear bearings and do the front with the steering knuckle repack.
kurt

Is there a specified interval for repacking wheel bearing on the LC?
FZJ80R Manual says every 20,000km with Lithium based Wheel Bearing Grease.

I don't know why Toyota doesn't lube the rear wheel bearings with gear oil on the FF. I just cleaned the old ones, they had no grease on them but the hub had gear oil in it. The bearings had some of the finish worn off but they were not pitted. If I remember right the Chevy FF on 3/4 ton truck are oil lubed.
kurt

I have a ring where the seal is on the axle. If the axle seal can't be installed in the axle housing so that the seal doesn't sit where the ring is on the axle. Is there a Speedi Sleeve for the axle?
kurt

Kurt,

Don't sweat the oil in the bearings. Grease is nothing more than oil with thickening agents to keep the oil on the intended surface. My rear seals were long gone when I repacked them after 10s of thousands of miles of heavy loads and trailering. Fortunately the gear oil they'd been running in was Mobil 1 synthetic. No scoring or heat evidence. Since you're going back in though, might as well repack again.

I'm also interested in the Speedy sleeve question (above) for my front seal grooves.

IdahoDoug

There is room to move the axle seal in or out from the old seal was. I measured the depth of the seal and pushed the seal in 1mm more.
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom