Rear View Mirror Screw (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

First post to your fine site. Recently purchased an 06 LX (56K miles) will post a photo once I figure out how. Anyway PO replaced windshield with aftermarket and they botched it. The guy completely stripped the screw that holds the rear view mirror into the base.

Dealer says I can't get just the screw. A previous thread indicates the screw comes with the base but the diagram doesn't show it. Anybody have any info on this or a part #? A new mirror assy. is $775 from the dealer. Thanks

Phil
P1000808.jpg

Try one of the home improvement stores in their nuts and bolts. There should be a selection of set screws in metric. Or try a nut and bolt, fastener supply house. They're very likely to give you one.

Thanks, it's just about mint, except for the damn mirror. Dumped the running boards and added front mud guards, looks even better now.

You could try chasing the threads with a tap and get a new screw from your local hardware store or McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr
If it is trully stripped, then drill slightly overdrill the hole, tap and add and new screw. Call it done and enjoy a Sunday drive.:cheers:

Is your mirror loose? There are 2 screws. If you can get that first one out you can remove the mirror and tighten the inner mirror mount. I don't remember the size of that outer screw, but a hobby shop might have one that size?? :confused:

Is your mirror loose? There are 2 screws. If you can get that first one out you can remove the mirror and tighten the inner mirror mount. I don't remember the size of that outer screw, but a hobby shop might have one that size?? :confused:

Hmm mine wobbles a lot. Only see the outer phillips screw and it is tight!:confused:

gtfour43 said:
Hmm mine wobbles a lot. Only see the outer phillips screw and it is tight!:confused:

Ryan,
Remove that outer screw and take the mirror off, then tighten the mirror mount screw, slide your mirror back on, retighten outer screw. You should be good!

Reactions: KDL
Ryan,
Remove that outer screw and take the mirror off, then tighten the mirror mount screw, slide your mirror back on, retighten outer screw. You should be good!

Thanks Stan! Will try that.:cheers:

Thanks for all the suggestions. The head of the screw was stripped. The mounting base was secure against the window. Had to drill then use an ez out to get the screw out of the mirror. That is a special screw and nothing else I was able to find worked, (and I looked hard
ended up creating a groove and reused the old jacked up screw, mirror is now secure. Word to the wise, if you have a later model cruiser/LX and need the windshield done, warn the guy about using an incorrect bit on that screw, if he strips it your'e in for a serious hassle (unless you want to spring for a 700 dollar mirror.

Actually I guess the shop would be responsible for the new mirror, I just bought the truck in TX and drove it home to MO, so I had to deal with it.

Between a trip to Ace Hardware, Home Depot, some cussing, break for beer and basketball watching, I believe I've located the super secret part number for what is referred to as the "outer mirror screw", the special set screw that attaches the rearview mirror arm to the window. No need to spend $600 plus on a new mirror, lol. After some searching, I found a post on an auto glass forum.

Part #87929-60010

This is not located on any FSM parts diagrams that I'm aware-local dealership made a special note in his system, as my first order erroneously yielded the mounting screw for the plate that is glued to the windshield. As these screwheads appear to strip easily, my recommendation is to go ahead and order one or two of these screws ($1 each) as soon as a windshield replacement is scheduled so you don't have to drive around with a ziptied mirror for a few days.:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks Porter. Just what i need to fix my wobbly mirror.

Man. Just ran across this and had the same problem when i first bought our truck 4 months ago. My dad works at a screw shop and just made one for me. If anyone needs another one, let me know. He could prob make another one :)

Between a trip to Ace Hardware, Home Depot, some cussing, break for beer and basketball watching, I believe I've located the super secret part number for what is referred to as the "outer mirror screw", the special set screw that attaches the rearview mirror arm to the window. No need to spend $600 plus on a new mirror, lol. After some searching, I found a post on an auto glass forum.

Part #87929-60010

This is not located on any FSM parts diagrams that I'm aware-local dealership made a special note in his system, as my first order erroneously yielded the mounting screw for the plate that is glued to the windshield. As these screwheads appear to strip easily, my recommendation is to go ahead and order one or two of these screws ($1 each) as soon as a windshield replacement is scheduled so you don't have to drive around with a ziptied mirror for a few days.:cheers:

I can't believe how looooong I spent looking for the very item you located! How were you able to locate the part number, especially since it doesn't seem to be printed ANYWHERE! Even when I GOOGLED the part number and checked for images the only photo that came up was of YOUR LX! I seriously believe that your posts are the only ones online with THE ANSWER!:clap:

Glad you revived this. I was told I had to buy an entire mirror too so I've just dealt with a wobbly mirror. Will be ordering one of these today.

I feel validated, after 10 years on the board, that my post on the elusive Outer Mirror Screw has helped fellow Cruiserheads. Lol.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom