Rear turn signal - help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all - interesting problem:

Left rear turn signal intermittently works then not. It does not seem to be a humid/dry or temp-affected issue and it just started a few weeks ago. Replaced bulb. No change - works half the time, then doesn't.

Never had any visible moisture in there so I know it's not swimming in liquid and shorting - and I doubt corrosion. Anyone know if these are prone to socket issues (burn-through) or wiring rub/grounding issues somewhere in the system? I would think a fuse issue would affect both right and left...

Stuck. And not really wanting to pay my tech to chase it down.

Much appreciated if you have experience, an idea as to where to start a diagnosis - or even a reasonable guess!

Sounds like loose or intermittent wiring, or the plug is going bad.

No idea but I would try replacing the front turn signal bulb on that side too. Do the hazards work?

Possible relay as well...does it "click" but not light up?

Have you checked the connector? I'd put some electrical grease in there and see if that helps

Thanks guys -

Turbo: agreeing with you at this point. Hoping I do not have to chase it further into the vehicle than the socket. And if I do, that it's not some stupidly over-engineered wiring schematic where the tun signals are also part of transmission and HVAC controls yada yada...

Dan: it clicks and the front indicator works fine (and intermittently the rear does as well), so I'm not thinking bulb or relay - yet.

The socket is cheap, so I've already ordered one and will start there. Might eliminate the problem - maybe not.

My thoughts also ran to the 8-pin tow package and something goofy going on there, except I would assume (dangerous, I know), that if the front indicator is working fine it's likely not the cause of the fault. Also, the system doesn't detect a light fault on the trailer (read: when the trailer turn signal isn't working), so I can't see that really being a cause outside of some really weird ground/short.

Question: does anyone know if the lens assemblies themselves have any circuitry in them? Or like most cars are they simply a plastic body that the sockets twist-connect to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom