Rear seat modifications to increase LJ70 storage - suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As a family of three, we can make do comfortably in a SWB LJ70 as is with a roof rack. Roof tent is coming in January so now we need some more space. I hear there was a split fold-down rear seat option but I'm not convinced I can find one out here in decent shape (unless 4Runner or Pathfinder rear seats are an easy install). So I'm considering the following and am looking for feedback. My first option is to have someone split my existing rear seat to make it a split folding one. Individual seats will still be comfortable but there is little upholstery capacity out here so it will definitely look ragged and may have rattling issues. I assume I will need to fabricate an additional mounting point and release for the 4 new corners, which may not be an easy task. It has the advantage of keeping 4+ seats in the car in a pinch. Second option is to have half the seat just cut off so I have a flat open storage area on one side. Same issue with appearance and rattling but much more storage. Third option - mount a front seat without the bottom frame in the back either on one side or in the middle. I am leaning towards this third option as it saves the most weight and preserves my existing rear bench for future use. Has anyone done any of these mods? If I go with the last option, it seems that the best way is to put it in the middle with flat space on either side. Any reason why this would be a bad option?

Many thanks,
Rich

Trailer??

I would not "split" the existing seat...way easier to install a single seat out of a _____? but you might take some measurements down to your local auto boneyard...and shop the SUV section for some flat mount split 2nd row seats...been thinking of doing the same

Richmason,
I actually purchased a set of second had seats from Pajero-Mitsu. With this option, I could split (either left or right) the seats when ever I want it, just fold half and flip it vertical, while I still get to keep my original bench seats. Hope fully attached pic gives you a visual...

IMAG0071.jpg

regards,
helimanBD

Trailer??

I would not "split" the existing seat...way easier to install a single seat out of a _____? but you might take some measurements down to your local auto boneyard...and shop the SUV section for some flat mount split 2nd row seats...been thinking of doing the same

IMAG0071.jpg

Do you know what year and model those seats are from? I actually own a junked 2001 Montero out here but those seats in your truck look narrower than the back seat in my truck. I also have the third seat in the way back but that doesn't split.

NO idea on the year model of the Pajero rear seats (sorry)... It was recommended by the upholstery shop owner.... Took them, placed the pair at the rear bench area...... fit right in... so drilled 4 holes on the floor board, just make sure it does not drill thru the tank.... and mount 4 sets of size14 nut/bolt to hold the pair of rear seats down ...

regards,
helimanBD.

NO idea on the year model of the Pajero rear seats (sorry)... It was recommended by the upholstery shop owner.... Took them, placed the pair at the rear bench area...... fit right in... so drilled 4 holes on the floor board, just make sure it does not drill thru the tank.... and mount 4 sets of size14 nut/bolt to hold the pair of rear seats down ... regards, helimanBD.

So those are front seats? I'm basing that on the fact that you were able to mount them separately with four bolts for each. Can you send me some pics of the seats from the front please? Thanks, rich

they are actually REAR seats from Pajero..... NOT front.... each seat with 2 nut & bolt, acts like a hinge.... Will take some pics this evening and post...

regards,
helimanBD.
So those are front seats? I'm basing that on the fact that you were able to mount them separately with four bolts for each. Can you send me some pics of the seats from the front please? Thanks, rich

Last edited:
Here it goes,
Viewed from driver side, rear seats open up
Rasah-20131120-01115.jpg

Viewed from rear, rear seats open up
Rasah-20131120-01116.jpg

Viewed from passenger side, rear seats open up
Per installer, the seats were still original upholstery.
Rasah-20131120-01118.jpg

Rear left seat folded, Rear right open up
Rasah-20131120-01122.jpg

Rear left seat folded, rear right seat folded & flip vertical.
Rasah-20131120-01126.jpg

they are actually REAR seats from Pajero..... NOT front.... each seat with 2 nut & bolt, acts like a hinge.... Will take some pics this evening and post...

regards,
helimanBD.

Rasah-20131120-01115.jpg

Rasah-20131120-01116.jpg

Rasah-20131120-01118.jpg

Rasah-20131120-01122.jpg

Rasah-20131120-01126.jpg

Last edited:
continuation,

Viewed from rear, both rear seats folded and flip vertical
Rasah-20131120-01128.jpg

Viewed from side window, both rear seat folded and flip vertical
Rasah-20131120-01129.jpg

Both seats bolted down, two size 14mm on for each seat.
Rasah-20131120-01131.jpg

Closer view of size 14mm bolts.
Rasah-20131120-01132.jpg

regards,
helimanBD.

Rasah-20131120-01128.jpg

Rasah-20131120-01129.jpg

Rasah-20131120-01131.jpg

Rasah-20131120-01132.jpg

Live the idea May steel it

Just quick Q what do the back part of the seat latch in to ?

Jimmy2,
If you look closely at,
"Viewed from rear, both rear seats folded and flip vertical",
there are 2 "RINGs" on each side mounted to the floor board close to edge of wheel hump. You can either run a steel rod thru the bottom rear seats and hooked it to the RINGs or just latched them down.

regards,
helimanBD.

Live the idea May steel it

Just quick Q what do the back part of the seat latch in to ?

Those seats are sweet. I doubt I can find them here but it gives me a place to start. My best option right now is the small third seat in my Montero if it can be modified to bolt to the floor and not in notches in the factory setup. It is about a foot and a half narrower than the existing back seat so I'd have storage next to it and room for four in a pinch. Cheers, rich

Richmason,
Perhaps these pics will give you another option, assuming you do NOT require to flip the single seat vertically like previous on 1989 LJ70. Like yourself, we have only 1 daughter and could make use of the extra space when mount a single seat at the rear of the small rig. Below was done on my previous 1981 BJ40. I re-used an old SR4 Honda front bucket seat for it.

Have fun sourcing.

regards,
helimanBD.

Image019.jpg

Image020.jpg

Image021.jpg

Image027.jpg

Image026.jpg

Those seats are sweet. I doubt I can find them here but it gives me a place to start. My best option right now is the small third seat in my Montero if it can be modified to bolt to the floor and not in notches in the factory setup. It is about a foot and a half narrower than the existing back seat so I'd have storage next to it and room for four in a pinch. Cheers, rich

Image019.jpg

Image020.jpg

Image021.jpg

Image027.jpg

Image026.jpg

Thanks would maybe just get one seat need it secured for when I go off-roading have an empty quarter trip coming up soon and need an extra seat in

Hello,

Have you considered jump seats?

Juan

PZJ70-5.jpg

Great ideas

After doing a bit of research on the local market, it looks like my best options for a split rear seat set-up is going to come from an older Nissan Pathfinder or, even better, the third seat of a full-sized modern Landcruiser - the rounded one whatever the number is. I haven't measured the Pathfinder seat to see how wide it is. If those don't work and if the third row seat of my junk Montero fails, I'll source a front seat out of something, perhaps the wider front seat from three seat 70 series LC trucks. I really just need sufficient flat storage for a big cooler or 12v fridge next to the seat.

Cheers,
Rich

Have u looked into lj71?
They came with rear split seats from factory
Must be someone on here parting one out or willing to help u out

here is a pic of the lj71 rear seats
they should just bolt right up with no mods

I'd love a set of those but I've seen only 2 or 3 other short cruisers out here in Liberia. I doubt there is a set lying around. When I get her back to the States I may have more options.

Thanks for the pics!

Cheers,
Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom