Rear main seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody here done a fj60 rear main seal?
My understanding is its drop the driveshaft's, tc and trany then have at it. Everything is oily around the oil pan so I'm thinking while I'm in there I should do the front seal and oil pan gasket also.
Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Gum

If the oil pan bolts are anything like the 3.4 be careful reinstalling them as you can easily break the bolt heads off. I broke a few and im a pussy. I use permatex "the right stuff" for all my fluid sealing needs, you just wont be able to get the part back off again, but at least it wont leak.

Do you own a torque wrench Hoff?

I do

Why would the bolts break that easy when reinstalling if you are even close to the proper torque spec?
I would think the bolts are stressed from the removal and need replaced before the reinstall.

Because the bolts are tinier than my clit and they have like a 9"lb torque rateing or something stupid like that. Hand tight and the rtv not even squished and they can pop on you, at least on the 3.4. I swapped most of mine out for studs so i can go ape**** on them with no worries, torque wrench be damned!

I have no idea how the 60 is, it may have 1/2" bolts holding it on for all i know.

Thanks Hoff, I will be aware of that.

Learn from my stupidity!!

The cork seal on the 2f sucks ass beyond reason!

The cork seal on the 2f sucks ass beyond reason!

I ordered seals from Beno here on mud, should have by the end of the week. I'm curious what they look like.
I just replace a pto output shaft seal on my 1954 Ford tractor and it looked like the original seal was made of straw, like I could have made a better one by hand with a swiss army knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom