Rear Hatch Glass Sources (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1993 FZJ80. So sitting at the gas station today all of a sudden I hear a loud POP. I look around, then look back, and my entire rear glass has spiderwebbed into thousands of pieces yet thankfully stayed intact. No doubt caused by a combination of defroster usage, 30F ice rain, and 22 year old glass.

So, not wanting to push my luck with this holding up, I have already started the search for replacement glass. Anyone out there have any info or experience to share as to the best way to get this replaced? I have a $500 glass deductible, so I realize I am probably out that for new glass, but where have folks had luck finding it?

I started with Safelite even though I know they can be priced high, but they are the easiest to use with my insurance. I figured they have a lot of sources they can draw from to find my glass...

TIA!

Check with Iron Pig Off Road in Fredericksburg. I know he has used rear hatches with glass in them.

Thanks for the leads. I really don't want to go with used glass because, well, 20 year old glass from another vehicle may have the same issue I just encountered. But, if it comes to being the only option, I have some leads...

I've not heard another story like yours, so I assume this isn't an inherit issue with the rear glass in these trucks. That being said, good condition used glass should be fine, just make sure the defrost works.

I have no idea where to find new.

I had a similar thing happen on a non-Toyota. Get a recommendation from your Insurance Co. and get one through a glass supplier like Safelite. They will come to you and install it.

So an update, Safelite is able to get this new, installed cost of $376. While expensive, still cheaper that I thought for new, mainly because this is Safelite glass not OEM style.

However, I have ended up going with a reputable local glass place that were able to match the grey tint OEM style for $394 installed.

Hopefully this thread gives folks some info to work from if it ever happens to them. As a side note, this particular rig took a hit to the drivers D-pillar while offroading a while back so I suspect that shock affected the integrity of the rear glass leading to this situation.

Did they tint the glass or did it come pre-tinted?

Pre-tinted during the manufacturing process...

Good to know. My glass is fine but the defrost grid is toast. I tried to repair all the breaks with a Permatex product but it was no good.

Good to know. My glass is fine but the defrost grid is toast. I tried to repair all the breaks with a Permatex product but it was no good.

LX450 has factory bronze tinted glass, not sure if that carries to the rear windshield though, something to be aware of none the less.

Came across this tidbit when looking for side glass for my last HDJ81, which had green tinted glass, and the NA 80's have clear glass, so tracking down a replacement was interesting.

LX450 has factory bronze tinted glass, not sure if that carries to the rear windshield though, something to be aware of none the less.

Came across this tidbit when looking for side glass for my last HDJ81, which had green tinted glass, and the NA 80's have clear glass, so tracking down a replacement was interesting.

Yes, the LX had the factory bronze tint all around. I had my windshield replaced last summer with an after market one. Personally, I don't care for the factory tint.

Mine has a silverish tint all around so the rear should match up nicely. I do like how it looks, keeps a little glare off ya...

I backed into a tree branch on gold mountain trail in big Bear a few years ago. Got glass from a junk yard for pretty decent price.

The best part of all this, lifetime warranty on the glass. IDGAF what I do to it now... Lol

The best part of all this, lifetime warranty on the glass. IDGAF what I do to it now... Lol

Having worked for glass companies for the last 12 years I would say you should check the wording of that. I've never heard of a glass company giving a lifetime warranty on any glass. Any reputable glass company will warranty their labor/installation but glass breaks. Sometimes like in your case for nearly no reason.

Cruiserparts.net. I can't remember for sure, but it came in under $200 on mine shipped and was $50 to install. I'll check back in my threads if you'd like.

Good point on the warranty. I went ahead and changed the LC to a zero deductible, problem solved. Next time, if there is one, I just drop it off at Toyota and tell them to fix it. Thanks for all the good info folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom