Rear Diff Lock Actuator removal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys (newbie here from the UK so go easy)

I have a 1994 4.2 VX TD (Auto)

my rear diff lock actuator does not engage -- light on dash keep flashing (front one does engage though)

It has locked in the past -- so researching the posts on here and the other LC Forums it seems most likely to be a sticking motor

I have been throught the slee oof road articles etc but no one actually describes the removal of the actuator

So I need to take off the actuator

I have removed the 4 bolts that look like they hold the actuator to the diff housing -- but it is not really budging, does move from side to side though

Anyone done this before -- is it just a case of "gentle" persuasion or more bolts etc

Do I need to fully remove the actuatorto service the internals etc

Cheers

James

Before you remove it, make sure it is not the position switch that is malfunctioning.

Can you hear it clicking? Take the position switch out and test it with an ohm meter. If it is not working try squirting some contact cleaner in there.

Mine didn't work and I sprayed contact cleaner and left it overnight. The next day it worked and fixed what I thought was a malfunctioning rear diff lock motor.

Another choice would be to convert to our Cable Locker. We made the kit for those who have a faulty accuator motor. Usually faulty because of crammed into a log once too often, or burried into 3 ft. of mud once too often.
CC_L_0013.jpg

Try checking the position sensor first.....if you have to take it apart.....make SURE you take note of how it came apart.

Also make sure the elec connections to it are hot....you can jump the motor if you use the EWD for your rig....this might tell you if the motor is good or bad before removing it.

Good luck!

many thank for the input guys

I have tried to hot wire it (got the pinouts off the www) with a separate 12v feed and "diddly squit"

the switch on the dash works (pretty sure) coz the fronts lock (i can here it and the light stops flashing) and I can here the relay click etc

so am pretty sure its just the actuator motor -- need to take it off and give it the "once over" -- but its proving a little tricky to get off after un doing the 4 bolts (i am presuming) that hold it on

I am not sure how much "gentle" pursuasionasion
I should give it?

hodgy0_2:
If you are talking about removing the actuator housing (gear and motor) from the diff, you can't just pull the 4 bolts that hold the actuator on. There is another bolt behind the cover plate that has the position sensor in it. The sensor and the three bolts holding the plate on need to be removed. Behind them you'll see a single bolt that holds the actuator rod in a sleeve. Take that bolt out and the actuator should slide right out.

Note: I had trouble getting that plate off, I ended up using a brass hammer. It was sealed with some sort of liquid gasket material.

thanks for the responses guys

I think that gives me all the information i need -- will "attack" this weekend

basically to remove the actuator i need to undo the 4 bolts form the flange -- then the 3 bolts that hold the sensor plate in place

which will allow me to unbolt the shaft -- and pull the actuator off

Cheers

JAmes

Finished -- all working

I am now "locked and loaded" again

Very satisfying -- as you can see from the rather poor quality photo, when I dismantled the actuator it was full of crud and the shaft was locked solid -- took hours to free, most of the bolts sheared and had to be re-tapped etc

The second photo is cleaned and ready for assembly (of which I did "hundreds" of times before it all worked as expected)

but now working like a treat

many thanks to all who replied

used the following posts (and the FSM)
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...mbly-help.html

this for an V good explanation of the electrics

Toyota Electric Locker
Picture 004 Before.jpg
Picture 005 After.jpg
Picture 009 rig.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on getting your actuator going. Is that a Super 7 next to your 80?

Hi

yes -- it was one of the most satisfying jobs I have ever done -- to look at the actuator when it came off it looked beyond repair

and no it not an original Lotus Super7 -- but a copy -- but its still great fun without the angst of owing an original

it what in the UK we call a Kitcar -- i.e. a car built from a production donor

cheers

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom