Rear Cargo Light Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool write. Inspired me to pick one up from the junkyard while I was gettin some stuff for my Hilux. Found one in in the same color as the rest of 'em. Got the LED coming to me so I'm gonna get out today and see if I can find the wire up in the pillar and get this light mounted. Thanks :beer:

it's a very simple mod. i did mine a couple weeks ago. mine was from some other toyota, but it was free. same idea though. i just pressed the light against the headliner to figure out where to cut the headliner (only a small center section has to be cut out to clear the back of the light assy). there is a recessed area in the rear body area.

i didn't know about the plug, but with a coat hanger, i pulled wires from the center domelight back and used heatshrinkable crimp connectors. my dome light was only two bolt hole, so drilled the holes and installed sheemetal screws. install led bulb. done.

Jim,

The link to your website is dead. Is there an updated link or did you post your write-up somewhere else on Mud?

Thanks.

Ahh crap, My Bad NL I totally forgot to e-mail you my info for this project. I have it on a sticky note now so I will send it this evening. Sean (RescueU), if you would like the info I could e-mail it to you as well if you PM me your e-mail address.

Looks good. I have an extra oak light that I need to get installed. Thanks for sharing all the information and pictures!

Matt, if you need a reference to follow, check out my 80 the next time we get together. It's the prototype install, afterall!

Matt, you lead, I'll follow :) - I picked up a light some time ago. Maybe have a light install party? :D

MoGas---where is the damn wire. Got in it tonight and i kinda fel like a tard 'cause I can't seem to locate the wire y'all are talking about. I've got a '97 and pealed back the headliner and the trim on the D pillar but still can't seem to locate it. Can you give a specific local or PM me with details...or anyone for that matter.

I got a light from junk yard and if there is a factory wire I would like to use it...thanks in advance.

:beer:
Tommy

Clicked on the link and it did not take me there, is anyone else having a problem with the link in post #1?

Clicked on the link and it did not take me there, is anyone else having a problem with the link in post #1?

Linky no worky...JR?

Unfortunately the wiring harness changed in 95 or thereabouts. So the 93-94 trucks have the extra harness, the newer ones don't. Mine doesn't have it either :crybaby:

MoGas---where is the damn wire. Got in it tonight and i kinda fel like a tard 'cause I can't seem to locate the wire y'all are talking about. I've got a '97 and pealed back the headliner and the trim on the D pillar but still can't seem to locate it. Can you give a specific local or PM me with details...or anyone for that matter.

I got a light from junk yard and if there is a factory wire I would like to use it...thanks in advance.

:beer:
Tommy

A bump for this thread. The link I found Rear Cargo Light Install still seems to work.

A question: it seems some folks are cutting the sheet metal in the rear and some are not. Why is this? I'd rather not cut it if I can avoid it. I'm using the same dome light as in the first two rows, will this require cutting the sheet metal?
Thanks.

A bump for this thread. The link I found Rear Cargo Light Install still seems to work.

A question: it seems some folks are cutting the sheet metal in the rear and some are not. Why is this? I'd rather not cut it if I can avoid it. I'm using the same dome light as in the first two rows, will this require cutting the sheet metal?
Thanks.

Probably because of what is mentioned in Step 13 in the link you provided.

Of course, I haven't done this mod so I'm not sure if there are other reasons as well.

I believe going off my memory if you have the hard headliner and it's not a JDM cruiser then you will have to cut. Your cut doesn't have to be pretty as you can see from mine.
P1010031.JPG

With the JDM cruisers I believe they already have the light and with the 91, 92, & 93's with the soft headliner you may not have to cut.

I have a 96 US spec truck. So you're saying the newer-style headliner simply isn't thick enough for the depth of the dome light assembly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom