Rear Bumper mounted winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
O.K.

So I origonally got this cheap 3,000lb winch to use as an axle winch for compressing the rear suspension to make life easier getting in and out with the dogs. I gave up that idea cause it's too complecated to put some type of stop in to keep it from letting too much cable out....

Soooooo..... what to do with this winch sitting on the shelf in the garage..... well, got stuck last weekend, and just a little more rearward pull than I could get out of a come-a-long would have been enough, as once was just a high center on a berm, and the second ran the axle up on top of a rut, with both front tires in the ruts. Plan was yesterday to go out with my son (19 months) Shea (wife's friend), her son (14 and sevearly metally and physically handicaped), and her 3 neices (4-7 and 8 years old). And we did follow through on the plan - but saturday I decided I'd better have a little more than just that come along, just in case...
Winch 1.JPG
winch 2.JPG
winch 3.JPG

unfortunately, this was NOT the slight stuck I was prepared for...
winch 4.JPG
stuck 1.JPG
happy girl.JPG

at least I kept them entertained, and I like the set-up reguardless, though I may go for a bigger winch ultimately...
flat on ass.JPG
happy campers.JPG

that's a cool idea. i've wanted a rear winch but maybe something more in the 6-8K range. looks slick, did it pull you out of that mudhole?

that's a cool idea. i've wanted a rear winch but maybe something more in the 6-8K range. looks slick, did it pull you out of that mudhole?

something in the 6-8K range would be better. It did not pull me out of that mud hole. I ended up come-a-long winching the front high up in a very big tree to get the front to start lifting over the ledge the front drivers tire was up against. Finally, after 2 hours of working it, and using the rear winch to try to pull the back sideways to straighten the rig out, someone came along with a 9,000lb winch and pulled us out.

Mostly I think the problem was I don't think that winch is really putting out 3,000lbs. I wasn't getting any movement and just stalling until I stole the pully off the come-a-long to double up the line. Here's the source of the winch,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95912

WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL
Wireless remote gives you freedom of movement during vehicle recovery.
Six feet per minute @ 3000 lbs.
Two button forward/reverse remote control
Freespooling
Drop forged hook with safety retaining clip
30 ft. of 3/16" zinc plated high carbon steel cable
Ideal size for SUVs, ATV or yard tractors
7 gauge mounting plate is predrilled for installation, has cut-out for hitch ball
Overall dimensions: 8" L x 9" W x 7-1/2" H; Mounting plate dimensions: 8-7/8" x 4-7/8" x 5/8"; Weight: 18.9 lbs.

ITEM 95912-2VGA
$169.99

$69.99

Usually my expeince with cheap chinese crap keeps me from buying such things, but it was on sale, and it was right there and I had some money in my pocket - and I origonally was going to use it for a very non-critical use. The one nice thing about it being such a small winch, other than the nice size and weight, is the drum is so narrow. This allows a really narrow roller fairlead that doesn't eat up much bumper space. My bumper starts to angle back just to the left of this so a much wider fairlead wouldn't work too well.

I think just upgrading from this POS to another 3,000 ATV winch like Warn, Ramsey, or Superwinch would be an improvement.

Ramsey has a Honcho 5000 atv winch, that has a real narrow fairlead, and would probably be a great choice for a rear winch. Course, it's 10 times as expensive - but then again, I probably would have paid $650 while I was butt crack deep in the gooy stuff..

If I go to something like that honcho though, I'll have to throw it up into the bumper AFTER the bumper is on the truck. Right now it just barely slides under the body hanging out the back of the bumper.
winch.gif
honcho5000_top.jpg

maybe it's only 3K on the first wrap... try doubling it up? it is nice that it's light, small fairlead... that 5K ramsey looks good too

that's deep dooh-dooh and a bad angle. By the looks of the paint, it looks like you got stuck before you even got started???

That picture you falling down in the mud is great! Nothing better than a good stuck to keep the kids entertained!

On using a larger winch, it looks from your pictures that there would be room if you extended the bracket towards the front of the truck a couple inches. Yes? No?

great idea and I have fantasized about this for a long time.

The winch I mean, not you. I like Larry the cable guy better. :hillbilly:

O.K.

So I origonally got this cheap 3,000lb winch to use as an axle winch for compressing the rear suspension to make life easier getting in and out with the dogs. I gave up that idea cause it's too complecated to put some type of stop in to keep it from letting too much cable out....

Soooooo..... what to do with this winch sitting on the shelf in the garage..... well, got stuck last weekend, and just a little more rearward pull than I could get out of a come-a-long would have been enough, as once was just a high center on a berm, and the second ran the axle up on top of a rut, with both front tires in the ruts. Plan was yesterday to go out with my son (19 months) Shea (wife's friend), her son (14 and sevearly metally and physically handicaped), and her 3 neices (4-7 and 8 years old). And we did follow through on the plan - but saturday I decided I'd better have a little more than just that come along, just in case...

Nice Rear Bumper with winch in your 80, good job, but i prefer a more big winch (example: 8.000 lbs, 9.000 lbs), sorry for my english, :cheers::beer:

Nice Rear Bumper with winch in your 80, good job, but i prefer a more big winch (example: 8.000 lbs, 9.000 lbs), sorry for my english, :cheers::beer:

No need to appologize, I'm in Oklahoma, and not a native, so your english is more better than most here ;)

I'd rather have a bigger winch in there too, and probably will some day, this just happened to be sitting there needing a use.

Yunno, the more I look at the setup, the more I like it, even with the dinky winch :)

Not for winching the rig out of a good stuck, but for yanking crap onto my trailer :cool:

Like if I ever ran the batts down in my lifted golf cart (unlikely, but you never know), I'd never be able to get it on the trailer without at least 4 peeps pushing :doh:

COuld come in very handy for stuff like that :cool:

what wire size did you run back there?

I don't know if I want to answer you after the breast comment......

not big enough..... it was a rush job and all I could find quick was 10guage - I think the wire on the winch is at least 8 guage... that may be part of my lack of power problem. I think I'm going to run welding wire back, and use it for this little winch, plus my power inverter (that isn't mounted yet). I knew I was undersizing my wire, but I wanted to test out the concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom