rear body mounts (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have begun my rear body mount project- took off and stripped the tailgate, cut the top of the rear sill, having big trouble getting the body side of the hinges off:crybaby:, found something that I don't think is right, and am wondering if my plan is going to work.

I am sorry that these pic are so huge. I am not that computer savy.

That rod I am guessing is supposed to be one piece and goes across to the drivers side and then elbows down into this little gate which srews down to bolt it. God help me if I have to try and unbolt it from the body. It looks like it has rusted to @#!*!! It is supposed to be one piece, right?

How about some clues on how to get those three phillips head bolts out of the body side of the hinges. I have one of those things that you hammer on to get it to crack loose. To no avail:frown:. I have hit it with a heat gun. I have used this stuff that was suggested called Mouse Milk. So far now luck. What's to do?!

I haven't even gotten to the body mounts yet!

Check out the pics
tailgate 1 002.JPG
tailgate 003.JPG
tailgate 004.JPG

The bar you refer to is a torsion bar. It is a one piece 'rod' that runs the length of the tailgate. Its purpose is to help with the transfer of weight when lowering the heavy tailgate. Conversely, it also assist in raising the tailgate as the torsion bar 'untwist' or relieves itself of the weight of the tailgate. It appears in your pics that the rod is broken and hence serves no real purpose at this point. The endpoint of the rod terminates at a right angle into a hole on the drivers side secures with a threaded nut. I too had issues with my torsion rod rusted in place and presently have it removed pending chemotherapy in this area. The hinge bolts remove nice and easy via direct heat applied with a torch for 60 seconds. Good luck.

It is supposed to be one piece, right?

Yup. That's a torsion bar. In a perfect world, if it was in one piece, it would make closing the tailgate easier for you. They're a PIA to take apart and worse to put together.
As for the bodyside tailgate hingescrews, use a bigger impact driver and the correct big bit. Those screws like that special Japanese Phillips bit that I can't remember the name of. And a bigger hammer. And those screws are probably painted over so make sure you remove all the old paint so you mousemilk can penetrate.
I forget, can you get a spray nozzle to the backside of those screws? If not, can you make access? (it's dark and I'm really tired so I'm not gonna go outside to check)
Don't use a heatgub, use a torch.
If all else fails, drill it out.

I had to drill thru the screw heads on mine

hot

Heat Heat red hot Heat! Got them all out. Not easy. Lots of hammering. I guess it is all easy once done tho! Only one did I have to drill. Got it most of the way out and then the head stripped. I had enough of a shaft after drilling off the head that I was able to work the vice grip meathod. :cheers:

Now on to the rest of the project but after a couple days off tho. Heading up to Zion to do a climb called Moonlight Buttress. :clap:

out with the old

got some pictures. Cut all this stuff out. Thinking that I am going to run some tube steel across the back. I haven't quite figured out how to navigate the corners yet, but I want to try and reseal the open bottoms of the rear quarters.

It is hard to imagine putting this all back together without at least exfoiliating and sealing all the rusty areas under there. Has anybody done sandblasting in their driveway? I am in a suburb area. Is this possible?
taigate 2 022.JPG
taigate 2 021.JPG
taigate 2 020.JPG

Nice! Looks like a blast. Did some climbing on the west coast at Smith Rock, been wanting to get to Yosemite.

nice. I didn't know you were going to be in my neighborhood.....

When you got to the top, was there a Pig waiting to give you a ride back down the way you came?

Something to keep in mind is that it may makes your 'project' more tolerable knowing that the torsion bar is nice but not necessary. The sandblasting ideal is a good one as it will make quick work of your rust issues. I too am in a suburb and want to sandblast but not too sure my neighbors will go for it as they are quite messy...

Is sandblasting loud? Are there ecologiocal issues that I should worry about?

Effing Kalifornians.
I saw a rear body mount repair that Mark A. did on Calico Kid's 55...Looked like he took aftermarket FJ40 body mounts, welded them to the outside side of the 55 frame, as far back as he could get them. It looked like an intelligent fix. Perhaps you could squeeze some more info out of Mark A., or get some pics from Calico.

Agree, you do not need the torsion bar. If you're young and strong. I still have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom