Rear Air blows cold but not hot: Ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear climate control only blows cold air but never seems to blow hot air.

I have tried purging my cooling system of air pockets but that did not seem to make an improvement.

It is getting cold in Colorado and my daughter is freezing in the rear seats.

Can you help me fix this?

Thanks

If you have added any aftermarket floor mats behind the front seats, they can block the floor vents that provide heat to the back, and as mentioned above, the roof vents are the AC only (in my 1999 anyway).

My 99 blows heat from upper vents. I have the rear ac system. I turn the slider on back controls to red (heat), turn on and heat most definitely comes from upper vents.

Blue Cruiser
Mine used to operate as you described . Currently, I only get heat from the back lower side of the front center arm rest. ( If you were in the center of the middle row seat you would feel heat on your feet.) The temp from the ceiling vents in the rear is luke warm UNLESS it is on cold- cold works great. In the hot position it only gets luke warm at best.

I am wondering if it is the heat sensor in the ceiling that is locate above the 2nd and 3rd row seats. Just speculating.. any ideas?

This is terribly off topic, but does anybody absolutely hate where the rear heat comes out?

fyi my 2000 blows heat and cool from the upper vents.

Last edited:
My 99 must not be working right, since it blows cold or colder, but no heat from the top.

I don't know how you guys are getting warm air form the upper vents unless the system is just recirculating what the floor heater puts out. The rear heater is under the DS and is fed by coolant lines. It has a blower and as you can see from the diagram, the only vents go to the floor in the center console. The rear AC feeds directly into the ceiling vents.

To clarify... 1998 and 1999 blow warm air from the upper vents as well as lower.
98 would only have floor heat, the upper vents weren't even an option. It became optional with the rear AC on '99 and standard '00 onward.
Capture.JPG

^ i dont know, but if i put it to heat, and rear on, it blows hot from the upper vents????? Could this be from the front heater? weird...

i have no clue then. Could it possibly be an LC LX thing. Maybe it is just recirculated??

Definitely not recirculated. What would be point of selecting heat and that you want it to come out high, if that's not even possible? Bad pic.
image-3229712728.jpg

I'll have to double check my '02. IRC, when the overhead selector is set to hot, the hot air comes out from the little vent located under the center console. I think there's a fan motor under the seat with a heater core just for the rear heat.

I'll have to double check my '02. IRC, when the overhead selector is set to hot, the hot air comes out from the little vent located under the center console. I think there's a fan motor under the seat with a heater core just for the rear heat.

Correct. You can see the pipes for it on the firewall directly above the engine.

For those feeling hot air coming out of the vents on the roof, my guess is that you are just feeling ambient air flowing through those vents. Similar to if you turn off the AC on the front air and just blow air with the temp set to all the way cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom