1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real time help - Transaxle fill plug on Toyota Camry

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by NMuzj100, May 12, 2007.

1. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

I have my 1999 Camry V6 auto up on jacks. Drained the Trans and
    Transaxle diff but am having trouble finding a fill plug for the transaxle.

The bolt hole I initially removed and thought was a fill plug (small with a rubber gasket) will not take fluid. It was about halfway up the case. A second screw next to that one also will not take fluid.

My Hanes manual only shows a picture for the 4cyl but the V6 is different and they give no info. An internet search found the same question on Tundra forums but no answer.

2. beno

beno 33030-60450 Supporting Vendor Moderator

I assume you have the A541E or A140E trans?

Refill will probably be through the tranny fluid dip stick (like the LC's)....

**probably**

3. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

I think the A541E since I have the 1MZ-FE engine.

Filling through the dipstick was my next hope but I filled the transmission to the dip stick line with the listed 4.75 qts . If the diff was "connected" then it would have taken an additional 1.6 qts. I did get some leakage from the small bolt holes that I originally thought were the fill holes.

I miss ABQ, nothing here to compare to El Pinto.

4. CJF

CJF

5. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

CJF - I did. The ax2 link is what helped me solve the problem. The problem was a worthless Haynes manual that had lots of bad info including incorrect fill amounts.

The A541E tranny in the 99 Camry has a separate drain for the diff but it is connected internally to the trans. So you drain separately but fill both from the dipstick tube. The diff has two "air vent" bolts that allow you to properly fill the diff without trapped air. These are left open when filling until they leak fluid. Then you shut them off. I was mistaking these for a fill hole.

Correct amounts of ATF for the A541E are 3.7 qts for AT and .9 qts for the diff.

With 5 quarts of Amsoil ATF in there the change in smoothness is noticable. Used fluid was dark and had what appeared to be a lot of clutch material inside.