REAL TIME: Check this out--the vehicle will not shut-off. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went-out to pick-up the kid and start the cruiser. Starter contacts stuck/worn: Click, no start. Try again. Click, no start. Third time vehicle fires up roughly: Warning Lights at cluster LIGHT UP and stay lit. Attempt to shut it down. Engine quits but starter (?) sequence still continues even though the key has been removed. In other words, right now, the key is back in the ignition and the engine running because otherwise the vehicle coughs attempting to start itself?

What is going-on? Any thoughts?

RAD.

So, what’s the downside of driving on the failed signal.

Thanks in advance. Yeah, just got it shut down--electrical smell.

Worst case scenario, you have a fire and burn your truck to the ground. Best case scenario, you just burn your starter up, it dies and you can't start it the next time you turn it off.

...yeah, the worst thought is trumped by AAA. :clap:

Thank you, you’re absolutely right.

That happened to me. I popped the hood and disconnected the negative battery cable quickly. I had to replace the entire starter, no rebuild for me as the teeth were trashed. Now I keep a 10mm wrench in the side pouch of the door. Just in case:)

I do not know book time for R&R of the starter or the switch. I got a Toyota tech that I once worked with but his shop is maybe 50+ miles from the house. So I will take it to a local shop--get a band aid and source some parts I guess.

scoteryana, I have admired the planning and building of your engine. Man, did I read that you’re going to school at the time or am I mistaken you for someone else--anyway, thanks a great deal. Kind of freaked-out for a minute but the kid got picked-up and things are smoothing-out. Thanks a lot!:)

Comet, thanks for jumping on the thread so quickly. There was a moment where I thought it would be cool to have a battery shut off. Catherine does not need this sort of thing happening while she is downtown or leaving work. We’ll get all this sorted-out for sure. She had the day off and fortunately it happened right there in the driveway. 10mm--I think, there’s one here somewhere--Bicycle wrench or something...

Very cool, thank you.

Glad everyone is OK and no fires. Camp fires are fun, truck fires take the joy out of the day. Beno got me a brand new starter cheaper than I would have thought. Not NAPA cheap but it does whats asked of it. OEM seems to be the preference of all the guys n gals here. We are a little bias towards OEM though YMMV.

Starter replacement is easy. Disconnect + of battery, jack up drivers side, put on jack stand, remove drive side tire, remove hot wire on starter, remove plug for solenoid. Take out a few nuts and bolts, pull starter out, reverse order to put back in. Transmission dipstick DEFINITELY gets in the way.

May be able to rebuild it cheaper. Re-manufactured ones seem to fail, again based on Mud experience.

Last edited:
Happened to my girlfriends 84 toyota pickup. after looking at her truck I figured it out. Her lock cylinder was disgusting, old and worn out. She was over turning the key and the cylinder was sticking leaving her starter engaged while her engine was running. I'm guessing it's the ignition switch. You can make a test switch cheaply and simply with some wire, some spade electrical connectors and a momentary switch. All you do is unplug the ignition switch, hook up the Hotwire harness and push the button to start. If it cures your issue you know it's the switch. It's a lot cheaper than having a mechanic try first. I can send you a picture of the setup, if you're interested PM me with an email or number to send it to, I won't go posting that kind of stuff online...since toyotas are so desirable to car theives

Last edited:
This just happened to me about 2 months ago - my starter was shot and would not disengage. I had three kids loaded in the truck and late for school and I had to pop the hood to disengage the battery as well. New starter, all is well.

All the same warning lights, was getting transmission light, engine light, rough running...

I recently had a thread on the subject. Thread here:
Engine Starting Short? / SNAFU

Last edited:
...I think Beno’s minimum order is $15o-- So, I should be in the clear. The battery is new, cables are clean/treated but I’ll drive to a local parts franchise and pick-up an aftermarket, install it and in the meantime start a list for the entire ignition system.

Prior to today, I thought November would see a HG tear down (Grey FIPG at half-moons. Thanks for the heads-up cruiserdan) and new cooling system but looks like I need to plan more immediately. Ignition is a good a place to start early I guess.

Thanks for the heads-up with the foundational thread link.

Knowledge is way deep in this forum for sure.

Haha, yeah I am in school full-time, but I am not a school-age kid. I am old. lol. I am also originally from Idaho, and would love to have a part-time house back in Sandpoint, ID someday.

If it happens again, before you get it to someone to have it fixed. Jingle the key, get out and tap the starter and like was said above, keep a 10mm handy to disconnect the battery if you can't get it to stop!

I do not know book time for R&R of the starter or the switch. I got a Toyota tech that I once worked with but his shop is maybe 50+ miles from the house. So I will take it to a local shop--get a band aid and source some parts I guess.

scoteryana, I have admired the planning and building of your engine. Man, did I read that you’re going to school at the time or am I mistaken you for someone else--anyway, thanks a great deal. Kind of freaked-out for a minute but the kid got picked-up and things are smoothing-out. Thanks a lot!:)

...I am not so sure any of us are young anymore. :cool: Got a ton of miles behind me... but on that school thing, I have no idea what you have got your nose into but I must have more than 3,000 texts on pdf if you’re in need of certain titles for class I might have it. Msg me.

I am not from Idaho--have 1oo+ year roots here though. Lived here twice in the past. Now I am here until something opens up at the edge of the Northwest. So, I think I understand why you might want to have a landing pad in Sandpoint. Its been a good state to hang-out in.

Haha, yeah I am in school full-time, but I am not a school-age kid. I am old. lol. I am also originally from Idaho, and would love to have a part-time house back in Sandpoint, ID someday.

But again, this is the best social media site in my book; In no small part because of people like you and so many others. Thanks for signing on and looking to help where you could. I appreciate it.

If it happens again, before you get it to someone to have it fixed. Jingle the key, get out and tap the starter and like was said above, keep a 10mm handy to disconnect the battery if you can't get it to stop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom