Real time Birf help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first birfield replacement. Thanks to all those who have gone before me and provided great documentation.

So I pulled the axle seal out and saw a ring laying behind it. It metal and not rubber. I hooked it with a wire so it wouldnt float down the axle housing. Should this have been in the backside of the axle seal?

A couple of pics attached. My birfield joint was empty, all the pieces parts were floating around on the inside.

Looking forward to moving forward. So whats with the ring?

Thanks!

uploadfromtaptalk1444344117885.jpg

Ouch!
Pretty beat up.

It looks like a seal.

Yep, beat up to say the least. The birf had grenaded. All the bearings and parts were floating around in the soup.

This has been brought up before and I recognize the seal/part, but can't put a name or case to it. The answer is here on mud for sure. Sorry not much help but have seen that here before.

This has been brought up before and I recognize the seal/part, but can't put a name or case to it. The answer is here on mud for sure. Sorry not much help but have seen that here before.
Ive been searching with no luck. Hopefully someone will chime in with the info.

Grab it, bend it, drag it out screaming. use a pry bar. This is the least of your problems.

Just prepare properly and make the decision to scream araarrrghhh or whtfffuuuhookkkk :cheers:

file.php

I ran into the same thing after blowing a birf on the trail. Not much guidance on what it actually is either. Most likely a guide for reinserting the axle that sits in a recessed area on the inside of the axle housing. I cut mine and pulled it out. No issues in a few thousand miles.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will be cutting it out this weekend.

It's been mentioned already but it is indeed the axle baffle that keeps the 90w and the birfield grease from mixing. Also helps with the axle insertion. I'm OCD so I'd try to fix it but not sure how realistic that is. You know, I'd just buy an axle housing from a donor truck if you can swing it, just for a peace of mind. I don't know how realistic THAT is for you but that's my useless .02 cents worth!

Ive been back to work on the axle. Now that my baffle is gone. How in the world do u get the long shaft in? Ive been messing with it for an hour with no luck.

I think "torsion" is the word you want. You have to lift up on the far end, but only by using the short end that wants to flop around. All this, and don't damage that seal! You may want to pack a bit of grease into the back side of that seal to keep the little coil spring in it.

If you can find a piece of pipe that fits and will give you more leverage length without hitting the floor on the outboard end, it might help. Once you're close, you may have to rotate one spline width to get it to slide in.

Good Luck! :wrench::wrench: :beer: :)

I did pack grease on the backside of the seal. What an ordeal. Nothing is ever easy. It seems that I can get the birfield just inside knuckle but no further. Then because its just in the knuckle there isnt anyroom try and use leverage because it hits.

Yes, its out. Do i gain any room by removing the knuckle again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom