Readers Rides, for pics and specs on your Toy(s). (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced my broken sofa with XJ:s seats
picture.php

Here is my 1985 toyota extra cab. 3" body 2 1/2" shackles, 7" springs. Cut out bushwacker flares. Chevy 383 stroker, reverse valve body th350, 205 tc. Pics is with 38" tires can't find one with the 44s at the moment just thought I would share it with everyone

1432089878482.jpg

New to me 1994 Toyota xtra cab V6 4x4, 80k original miles. Perfect complement to the 200.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1435434209.651879.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1435434223.368984.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1435434235.470136.jpg

Let the fun begin

Sent from my extremely unreliable mobile device using IH8MUD Forum

Update on the old girl, finally put a WRX STI Top mount and matching scoop on her, and a little fender and rust trimming for added clearance. The tires pictured are 36x12.5 TSL SX's. Flares to cover them are a work in progress.
10277655_672676152877495_8422882878789726025_n.jpg
IMG_6203[1].JPG

very very nice!
94-95 are the best years. great find

My thoughts exactly. I'm fairly excited to say the least.

Sent from my extremely unreliable mobile device using IH8MUD Forum

Not my rig, but my 17yr old daughter's first car... She wants to learn to wrench and wheel on this: 1987 22RE Manual trans. We have 16in wheels for it and some pieces from a salvage yard. We need to some TLC to it, but it is straight and runs pretty well.
IMG_7194.JPG

Updated pic with the 235/70R16 Grabber AT2 tires on factory steel wheels off of a newer Tacoma...
IMG_7652.JPG

Hey Stinky, what are you going to do with the saggy rear?

short term: Add-A-Leaf...

long term: new springs with 0in lift

puff the evil wagon.
87 brand new 22re engine, w56, 235s, but will go to 31s someday (hopefully soon). in the process of putting tuffy and vinyl flooring in with no rear seat. long term plans are to cut the sliders off the marshmallow to put on puff, and an all pro bumper with a winch, some more electrical ports and that's about it. maybe get the tailgate painted to match and get all the keys keyed alike so i don't have five keys for one vehicle
IMG_20151011_181703_691 - Copy.jpg

Okay, it's not a truck, it's a van. But technically it shares the most technology with the Hilux/Tacoma/4Runners. So I thought I post it here.

I've got a Hi-ace 4x4. I live in the Netherlands, and I imported this van from Norway, one of the very few countries where they are common in 4x4 and LHD.
Up to 96 they had old fashioned parttime 4x4 and low-gearing. Mine's from 1994 and I got lucky with a extra limited slip diff on the rear. I didn't want the later ones, they had fulltime 4wd and no locking options and no low gearing. I really wanted to buy this one as it had low mileage and a high roof, perfect for camper conversion

20150829_163232.jpg

- 2L 2.4 diesel engine. Slow but allows you to drive over 70mph even though it is very heavy.
- parttime 4x4, low-gearing
- LSD in the back (pretty rare for the vans)
- Original Toyota high-roof (pretty rare), inside room is 6 feet! (but I'm taller :( )

What have I done so far (we have it for half a year now)
- Camper conversion with a bed and kitchen. Compressor fridge with freezer
- Optima YellowTop (big one) with 175 Watt solar panel to run the fridge stand-alone
- Snorkel (just ordered it from the Toyota dealership :) it's in the EPC for the Africa models)
- big maintenance (all fluids were old and black)

What am I going to do
- raise it by add-a-leaf and turning up torsion bars. Maximum 2 inch I think is safe limit
- raise it another 2 inch with bigger wheels (Mudterrains)
- difflock in the front (the axles are the same as Hilux and 4Runner so you can use diffs, although final gear is different)
- remove rust

The van is just too low. But it's already amazing what it can do. In fact, I would say the ride height is the only problem.
But then of course, it has very little horsepower. It didn't have problems on the beach driving, but driving up sand dunes is going to need more power.
So we add a turbo. Or we swap in a RZ engine, but 3RZ isn't easy around here. But there are some aussies who have put a 1UZ in this fan :p so anything is possible
For now the 2L 2.4d engine is working really well, it's slow but doesn't get hot, even though your climbing the mountains on the freeway, with the pedal flat for minutes on end.

Learn something every day. Nice van.

Thanks. Yeah I guess these vans are not known at all in the US. Only the old small ones, which are not Hi-aces.

Oh and earlier we had a BJ45 Landcruiser, with which we travelled through Asia for a year. We even took it up the Himalaya, up to 17,000 feet with a 3B diesel engine without a turbo. We had to sell this great car unfortunately, because it was sitting outside getting bad, and we were starting a family. The 4x4 Hiace campervan is a nice replacement. Although it is quite ugly in comparison to a 40 series.

venturing into the minitruck world!!
1982 pickup, 4x4, shortbed, no ac, 4 speed, unkown what else until I get into it. I want to put a bench seat into it so I can haul my boys around with me. was purchased in norcal in 82 by a family friend, stayed here its entire life, my friend let his son drive it around the last few years and he blew a hg, then another one, and it sat for a year. He called me up to see if I wanted to give it some love and keep it nearby so he could give his last kid a ride in it eventually, to which I said YES!

FullSizeRender-3.jpg
FullSizeRender-4.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom