1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"rattling" steering wheel

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by bluecruiser, May 24, 2011.

1. bluecruiser

bluecruiser New Member

My steering wheel rattles. When I am parked with the wheel straight, I can move the wheel side to side, in the "slack", where the wheels do not turn and there is a rattle from inside the steering wheel (or where it connects?).

If I am turning or have the wheel outside of the "slack" area, there is no noise. It seems that the slight "slack" or play makes a noise....any ideas on how to get into steering wheel and check what it could be?

Thanks
  2. bluecruiser

bluecruiser New Member

no ideas? Any ideas on how to look at the inner workings of the steering wheel?

Thanks
  3. 2000UZJ

2000UZJ Where's My Hammer?

mine has a little slack when off and on flat ground. I think it's normal, a little play gathering at all the linkages. I could be wrong though. Driving it's fine. I don't have a rattle, but I can make it "knock" when I wiggle it quickly back and forth (no homo)
  4. bluecruiser

bluecruiser New Member

the little bit of play is fine with me....the rattling type noise is kind of annoying. it will rattle slightly on rougher asphalt, speed bumps, etc.

I just think something in there could be adjusted...

thanks
  5. jgray

jgray New Member

6. 2000UZJ

2000UZJ Where's My Hammer?

Creepy. Coming down the street with a fresh patch job it was some nice :.:.:.: style bumps. My wheel does it too. Just starte I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD
  7. bluecruiser

bluecruiser New Member

thanks for the info and the compliment...it has been rattling for awhile...it is just really starting to annoy me....
  8. justdifferentials

justdifferentials Supporting Vendor

steering noise

Before you pull the steering wheel, check the column joint. there is a ujoint and a rubber damper joint. Hold the joint with one hand and rock the wheel, see if that is where it's coming from.

Mine is a bit loose and more noticeable after Moab and the 2k+ mile trip. I just ordered a replacement, as well as an extra to keep on the shelf.
    Last edited: May 25, 2011