Ranger Torque Splitter ?'s

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech and 24 volts Systems' started by Turbo45, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Turbo45

Turbo45

just kickin a few ideas around here
    has anyone put a Ranger Torque Splitter for the OD behind a 3B
    has anyone put a Ranger between a 3B and a H55F to make it easier to pickup the second third shift and the third fourth shift
    also can you use it to adapt a Cummins and a H55F
    ive been reading and see some say they are noisy and hard to shift
  2. The ranger - which is truly a piece of ancient history - will not fit the 3B. I haven't seen one in years...

~John
  3. Granite Grinder

Granite Grinder IH8HILLS Moderator SILVER Star

Jeez John, your making me feel old ;) That piece of ancient history is still running quite reliably in the 40. Of course, it is a Chevy drive line...
  4. Turbo45

Turbo45

is it noisy ??? does it shift nice ? what trans is behind it ?
  5. Granite Grinder

Granite Grinder IH8HILLS Moderator SILVER Star

You can hear it when it's in OD. Makes no noise when it's 1:1. This in a 40 series bush truck, so no carpets or frilly stuff. Here's the driveline: SBC, Ranger, SM420, Toyota 3 speed t/case. So needless to say the entire driveline is noisy, including the t/case. Shifts smoother than the SM420, in fact having a split shift is excellent. I always have a gear and the split between 2nd and 3rd on the 420 is tall. Downshifting is great as well, it has syncros so I just clutch it it when needed. I originally used this box as my SBC to Toyota 4 speed adapter, no driveline modification required. That was in 1993.
  6. Turbo45

Turbo45

man that sounds awesome!!
    ive got a 3B turboed right now and it works really well overall but it pretty much always has a load in it and id really like to have the gears closer togeather
    with the ranger and the 4spd you actually have a better overdrive then the 5spd
  7. morgan85

morgan85

i too have a 3b and a 4speed. Was wondering if you ever got it to work.
  8. I'd love one of these as well (if they would fit)

It would really come in handy..... might make the ol' 2-3 H55 shift less of a step for the little "B".