Ranger Torque Splitter, cast a vote (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Corbet said:
Only one other person has run one???

No, there's quite a few posters that have ran them. It seems to be a love it or hate it type of thing.

folsom50 said:
No, there's quite a few posters that have ran them. It seems to be a love it or hate it type of thing.

FAWKING HATED THE $1500 POS. It is way to much money for what it offers. Noisy as hell, shift like s***, and added so much drivetrain slop I thought somehting was wrong until I talked with others that had them.

Spend the $1500 on a toybox and step up in tire size. I never ever used it to split gears, I left it in direct drive all the time after the whine annoyed me to much to leave it in OD. I dont know if I got a bad one, but that was just a bad experience that I would not repeat or recommend. Ever. Step up to an NV4500 or something else. Money can certainly be spent more wisely.

There, now you got one "hated it" response.

I use mine every time I drive my Fj60 and I like it!
IMHO....The gear splitting is awesome for grades and keeping your rpms where you want them.Without it I scare the people at the bus stop or I'm lugging the v8.
It is loud and adds some "slop" ,but so will adding any additional gear box. It is way over built!The shifting lever can be modified with a pivot(like the t-case) to ease shifting.
On my FJ60 SOA/v8/Ranger/SM465/203/TLCSplitcase w/38.5's the pros out number the cons!

If I did it all over again and had $$$$$ I would probably go with a NV4500 and a Orion.
That will be my FJ40 project.............................someday

HTH

Corbet said:
Fergus, what axle ratio are you running? and tire size? I'm curious what your RPM is at say 75MPH in overdrive. Also what kind of HP is your V-8 putting out?

4.88's w/36x12.5 TSL Radials for the road and 38.5x15.5 Swampers for trail.

Tach no worky.I don't go 75mph too often!Good excuse to go put my new one in.
I'll go 75 tonite!

V8 hp around 300 hp only??

HTH

FJ40Mayo is running one now ... you may wish to PM him for his thoughts. I ran one before putting in the NV4500 and thought it did fine. Not too much noise or lash and took the torque without complaint. I used it before putting in a stroker motor but was still in excess of 400 ft lbs. Because you're using another gear box you will lose more net torque output but overall I had no complaints.

I like it. When I installed it, I pulled out the old 3 speed transmission, put in a 4 speed, and rebuilt the tcase. It is now way quieter than before. I can cruise down the highway at 70 at about 2400-2500 rpms. Off-road, you don't know its there.

Don't belive its eaiser! I just completed my SBC/Ranger/H42/T-case. The part about not having to modify drive lines and making the conversion is B/S!!!! I've been driving mine know for 2 weeks and when you come to a stop you have to remember to shift out of over drive or else you'll lug in 1st gear, and I have 4.11 gears. Also the noise is annoying. I rebuilt my tranny and t-case and somthing down there is still bitching at me. If I had it to do over I would of gone with a NV5000 or 700R4.

Stock drivelines worked fine for me...even with the long waterpump on the motor. The only thing I thought was tight was battery clearance next to the alternator.

The mildly build V8 I used would pull 1st no problem OD or otherwise on 33" TSL's w/ stock 4.11 gears.

But each conversion is a little different...YRMV! :D

:cheers:

Nick Jennings

Ponce said:
Don't belive its eaiser! I just completed my SBC/Ranger/H42/T-case. The part about not having to modify drive lines and making the conversion is B/S!!!! I've been driving mine know for 2 weeks and when you come to a stop you have to remember to shift out of over drive or else you'll lug in 1st gear, and I have 4.11 gears. Also the noise is annoying. I rebuilt my tranny and t-case and somthing down there is still bitching at me. If I had it to do over I would of gone with a NV5000 or 700R4.

Leaving the ranger in overdrive was the equivalent to pulling a 3.08 rear end ... not a large task for a small block. As for the installation, it was very easy. The only hassle was having to run a short water pump which I still do with the 4500 (a long pump would fit but I wanted to run a clutch fan). The rest of it took about 10 hours to measure and weld up.

I am running a short waterpump too and when I installed the OD, I was moving everything forward as much as possible, so I already knew I was going to have to change my driveshafts. The biggest issue I had was getting all the right brackets and pulleys to work with the short pump. I have zero problem taking off in 1st with it in OD, but I pretty much leave mine in 1:1 until I hit the highway. Having to shift a second shifter every once in a while really isn't as tricky as some may make it seem. ;)

I should mention this project is fo my 60. I posted here because I figured more readers with experince with Ranger. I should not have any problems with drive lines or space under hood. But I will be running the factory 3.73 diff.

I'm mostly concerned about noise and if the stock V-8 250HP-ish will push the 60 down the highway at 2200 RPM at 75MPH. Plus I live at 9200 feet so my engine won't be making the full rated HP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom