1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

random hihg-pitch sqealing/whining from engine bay

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by theferg, Feb 24, 2003.

1. theferg

theferg

Media:
    I have just put on some headers and removed a few smog components as per Jim C schematics. Anyay, all seemed well until we took her out for the second test drive (going to the muffler shop). When I got a couple blocks down the road, I could hear a high pitched sqealing/whistling coming from the engine. I pulled over, popped the hood and started looking. It seemed to come from something near the rear side of the carb. All hoses are hooked up correctly--I've checked a million times--but will double-check anything anybody suggests. Oh, also put on a fluid heat riser kit, but that actually wasn't done until after I heard the noise. The noise seemed to go away at first when I accelerated, but when I continued down the road, it started doing it at all RPMS, stopped or driving. Any suggestions?!?!?

2. Erics75

Erics75

Re: random hihg-pitch sqealing/whining from engine

Keep looking, a belt or bearing maybe? Doe's it increase with an increase in RPM's or vehicle speed?

3. theo

theo

Re: random hihg-pitch sqealing/whining from engine

Use a 2' piece of garden or heater hose like a stethoscope. Stick one end in your ear and move the business end around slowly. Take your time and get within an inch or so of individual areas. The sound will get louder the closer you are to the source.