radiator drain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to drain and flush cooling system and replace with Toyota Red. I am having a hard time locating/accessing radiator drain.

FSM shows drivers side lower left. Am I missing something, is there a trick to getting to it. Any help would be appreiciated.

Thanks,

Steve 94' 105,000

Drivers side of the radiator, bottom tank, accessed from the engine side of the radiator. It may be helpful to remove the metal splash pan above the steering shock...

Don't forget to drain the block. Brass plug, LH side, about halfway, above pan rail, 14mm hex. (keep the pets away from the stuff, very poisonous :ugh: )

Also, the way to access the lock plug, as pointed out by someone else, is to look through the flap on the drivers side wheel well and use a couple of socket extensions. Lots easier than feeling around from above or below

Yup...............

Replacing my water pump today and didn't find the drain until the fan shroud was removed.
Hope this water pump lasts the rest of MY life!
92LC 215,000mi

tr,

What a bunch of crap. You mean you only got 11 years and 215,000 miles out of a *water* pump!?! And to think that Toyota prides themselves on quality.

Better start planning now. In 2014 and at 430,000 miles you will probably need another one. Maybe sooner. :tear:

-B-

Uh oh. By 430k something minor like the engine may die. Oh well. At least the water pump will still be good. :dunno:

Wow - 11 years and 200+K miles on a water pump - very impressive. Is that even faintly typical? Thanks, BigMac

Nice detail Chris. Good shot.

In chris's photo the rear plastic flap has been removed for clairity. I got in there on mine with it in place. It is easier to see what is going on when the flap is removed.

Chris,
Throw some grease on that thing for goodness sakes!!!!

That starter looks like it's brand new. I almost didn't recognize it. Do you steam clean the undercarriage before you get out the camera? ? ? :G

-B-

I detect a bit of rust on the engine block, let's take care of that, shall we Chris? ::)

I'm certain he polished and waxed that OME shock before the picture. He may have used a buffing wheel on that starter. Looks bogus to me.
-B-

PHOTOSHOP written all over it. 8)

Looks like someone just installed a OME lift :) If you look closly you can still see the wimpy stock front tires. They were replaced the week after this photo was taken.

So when did buffing and polishing the starter become part of the OME install? :G
-B-

You guys are just jealous that my new Minolta camera makes my old cruiser look like new!

The truth is the flash hit it just right an makes it look shiny.

I got 17 yrs and 125K mi off my original water pump on a 22re. Original starter (never rebuilt the contacts) and alternator are still going strong at 145K mi!

Ok since we have hijacked the thread for water pumps. I had an 87 toyota pickup with the 22r, put 345,000 on original everything. I think I replaced the starter a couple times and the brakes...typical tune up stuff but nothing major. I eventually left it at my buddies when I moved out of state and the Police towed it away. :mad:

That truck SOLD me on toyota! 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom