r-12 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't think it is that they are dedicating resources looking for R12 or anything in particular. They are looking at each vehicle and the occupants for *everything* that is illegal to bring into this country.

Those guys have a tough and dangerous job and they don't make the laws but they have to enforce the laws. Everything from R12 to Cuban cigars to drugs to people. They cannot catch everything and that's what the bad guys count on. They send thousands of "shipments" over every day and some get caught and some don't. It's a numbers game.

I don't have the answers but opening our borders is not the answer and blaming the poor guy trying to do his job and screen everything coming across the border is not the answer.

-B-

Existing stocks of R12 can still be used from a federal law standpoint. state and local laws about usage vary. Currently N.M. does not prohibit it's use but does have strict recovery guidlines. R134 operates at a significantly higher head pressure than R12, does not cool as well and leaks like a sieve from systems without barrier type hoses. Often additional electric fans will help out somewhat. Toyota does have factory supported retrofits for R12 vehicles. The factory stuff is not cheap, nor is R12. I will continue to operate mine on R12 as long as my stash of R12 holds out. Knock on wood, my 93 has never been apart nor has had to be re-charged. I have enuf N.O.S. R12 to last me many years if the cans hold up. And NO, you can't have any :dunno:

c- dan,
do you happen to have in your vast knowledge a toyota retro fit part number?
Dave :beer:

Dave,

There's a whole list of stuff. I'll fish out the bulletin.

&nbsp:Dan

thanks dan
apprecate the help form all
Dave :beer:

Dave,

Got yer pencil? Here goes:
Valve kit 88840-33020        list $118.55
dryer      88471-16050        list  $50.93
compressor oil 08885-09107 list  $81.35
It is also a good idea to replace all of the o rings on the lines with the newer R12/R134 brown O rings.(assorted sizes and prices. The R134 charge is 850 grams or 1.87 lbs(very important).
You also paint over the sight glass.
The head pressure is sky high. Don't look at the gauges, you'll freak out.  It will not cool as efficently. you may want to add an electric fan for slow speed operation.
 Monitor your hoses for leaks and replace as required.

Cheers, Dan

PS, I have access to a Japanese domestic fan assembly that fits perfectly to the condensor/center grille brace. It was used for vehicles with dual airconditioning. It wholesales for about 214 bucks.

I don't think it is that they are dedicating resources looking for R12 or anything in particular. They are looking at each vehicle and the occupants for *everything* that is illegal to bring into this country.

Those guys have a tough and dangerous job and they don't make the laws but they have to enforce the laws. Everything from R12 to Cuban cigars to drugs to people.  They cannot catch everything and that's what the bad guys count on. They send thousands of "shipments" over every day and some get caught and some don't. It's a numbers game.

I don't have the answers but opening our borders is not the answer and blaming the poor guy trying to do his job and screen everything coming across the border is not the answer.

-B-

We're just giving ya a hard time B. :D Agree they have a tough and dangerous job - just sometimes hard to make fun of it in some situations.

Dave, I hate to be the one to break it to you but you won't need a/c that much when you get to Bellingham. My current FZJ80 is the first car I've owned with working a/c since my 63 olds in high school (god I miss that car) and I've rarely had an issue with that.

I also believe you can get your R12 legally recharged in Canada which is a 30 minute drive away and uses 74 cent dollars. Want me to check for you and get a price?

thanks c-dan for the info and semlin for the offer. personally I never use the ac in the pig, but when my better half is in the car it damn well better be cold. not sure what I am going to do at this point. tiem to scratch my beard adn think about it.
dave :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom