Quick Disconnect CB Antenna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

>> Just wear your dirtiest ball cap, buy a pack of Camels and some peanuts, and you'll be okay...

However, the tee shirt must be short sleeved and the Camels must be rolled up in the sleeve so it sits just below your shoulder... this allows the Screaming Eagle on your biceps to show better...

>> They supplied the coax. I believe it was 18' but I know for sure that it was the "optimum" length because the guy with the screaming eagle tatoos that sold it to me made a big deal about having the correct length (quarter wave or some mumbo jumbo.)

Actually, the mumbo jumbo is close to correct. The coax is a transmission line, and the more closely it is cut to match the wavelength/frequency (or channel) you are using, the more power from the radio that will reach the antenna and actually radiate off the antenna - rather than get reflected back down the coax and back to the radio.

As a practical matter, in CB where the power is so small, it probably doesn't matter all that much. In commercial, ham, and other such installations where you are dealing with 1000 watts or more, the RF that is reflected back down the line, due to an improperly tuned coax, ends up back in the radio and on the microphone. At best, the operator will go home with chicken fried lips... at worst, will go home glowin' in the dark.

Since so many truckers run illegal amplifers, maybe... naw, I ain't going there...

R -

Silver,

Don't know yet. I should get it installed next week, then will let you know how much it took. Others can probably answer from recent (or not-so-recent) experience. I'm going to install the box for the CB within the central cubby armrest thing, at the bottom, so 18' may well be enough since not going all the way from the antenna (on back bumper) to the dash.

I just installed a cheapo Radio Shack CB with an 18' coax on the lower right driver side dash, and had about 1.5-2' of coax to spare. Might move it later, but It'll work for this weekend.

Also, went with a 4' firestick and quick release on the ARB upper antenna mounting point (USPS). So far it seems to work pretty well. I'll let everyone know after tomorrow's trip.

-H-

Well H, that probably is the same set up I used. My CB is a Maxon and it was a $29.99 fiberglass whip (white). If this is the same setup, can you do me a favor. If you still have the package that the antennae came in, can you check to see what kind of warrantee if any came with it? Last night some spineless little cretin snapped mine off at the base while it was parked in my driveway. If I find the little f$#%ker I'm going to rip him apart limb by limb. Ugh! I'm so mad! :mad:

:D WILSON 1000- you can unscrew it from the mount and it will make the weakest BC radio seem like 20 watts! They are > $60 even full retail and I would never run anything else. I made at least 2- converts in my club alone-

Up, sure, I'll grab it here in a bit and let you know.

As for performance, I ended up with a Radio Shack el cheapo unit ($35), 18' of coax ($7), a 4' Firestick ($18 ), and a quick disconnect mount ($7) with no spring.  Wired the power to a cig. lighter plug ($4), mounted the antenna on the ARB US PS upper mount and away I went.

For the run we did this weekend (yes, we're working on pics, be patient young grasshoppers...) the setup worked very well, and I have no complaints.  All transmissions were basically line of sight, with other vehicles within 1/2 mile.  Transmission and reception was clear and easy to understand.

The 4' antenna really sticks up there when mounted to the front of the ARB, and I was concerned about low branches, etc, but it did fine, and I can really recommend the quick disconnect, right now the antenna is in the back of the cruiser, with only a small stub mount on the ARB.  Very clean setup.

I might still put a spring up front, and will have the unit tuned when I can get a hold of a SWR meter, but cannot complain about the all around performance so far.  Not bad for a total of $71!   8)

-H-

OK Up, here you go:  Firestick 4' 5/8 Wave, CB antenna, Model KW4  

Warranty:

"  Should your antenna fail due to a defect in materials or workmanship, it will be repaired or replaced at the discretion of the manufacturer.  This service is provided to the original purchaser and requires dated proof of purchase.  Fiberglass antennas are warrantied for 5 years, non-fiberglass antennas for 1 year.  Damages caused by abuse, misues, or negligence (i.e. hitting overhead objects, improper installation, etc.) are avoidable circumstances and are not covered by this warranty."

Address:

FireStick Antenna Company
2614 E Adams St.; Phoenix, Arizona 85034
(602) 273-7151

Good Luck!

-H-

H,

Thanks for posting that warrantee info. I'm not sure if they'd be willing to replace it based off of how it looks. The bastard snapped it off right at the base. However, I spoke with the kids who live at that house and they agreed to chip in for a replacement. :G

Post some pictures from your outing when you get a chance.

I would agree that a Wilson 1000 is a wise investment. A good antenna is at least as important as the radio (similar to good speakers being one of the most important parts of a good stereo). F-glass antenna tend to break and I've had mine fly off my truck too many times to count due to the wind load at even the legal speed limit. :mad:

Cheers, Hugh

PS get your HAM lic - T-2 weeks to my test, gulp! :eek:

Tuscon,
I run that same cobra... However I chose to mount it under the center cubby. Just position the remote box to where the cord for the handset exits towards the drivers seat. When you go to attach the handset just slide your seat foward and attach it from the middle row. Works really well that way and it's totally stealth. I would also recomend running a wilson 1000. If you can't handle drilling a little hole in your roof than there is no way your ever going to snorkel it :D Just remember the best signal will be radiated from the center of a vehicle. There is no way to do that with a Fiberglass stick. You will also want to stop by a local Radio Shack and purchase a small external speaker for that unit. It's a cool little C.B. but the speaker on it has a very tin like sound. I placed my speaker to the left of the gear shift in the useless drink holder.

The 3ft Wilson I Just Got came with a grounding wire, i needed to make a quick disconnect for that wire as well, i used some radio shacks things, but i dont really think its good for the weather and such!

Does your Wilson antenna have a grounding wire? How did you make YOUR quick disconnect, just curious?

I was thinking of removing my "Quick Disconnect" for the antenna because there seems to be quite a bit of play/slop in it and instead of snapping it, i think i might just replace it with a spring! Thoughts?

Last edited:
BM-

I have the 3ft Wilson as well. When trying to tune the antenna I found the ground wire that's attached to the antenna didn't help me at all. What did help greatly in lowering the SWR was running a short ground wire from the antenna mount to the body. With you mounting it directly to the ARB you may not even need the wire at all. I was able to achieve an SWR reading of 1.25 - 1.5 without it. If you don't have an SWR meter you should pick one up. They're cheap at the truck stop ($10-15) and essential in getting max performance out of your antenna.

MoJ said:
BM-

I have the 3ft Wilson as well. When trying to tune the antenna I found the ground wire that's attached to the antenna didn't help me at all. What did help greatly in lowering the SWR was running a short ground wire from the antenna mount to the body. With you mounting it directly to the ARB you may not even need the wire at all. I was able to achieve an SWR reading of 1.25 - 1.5 without it. If you don't have an SWR meter you should pick one up. They're cheap at the truck stop ($10-15) and essential in getting max performance out of your antenna.

Thanks Jason

I have an SWR meter and will be tuning this thing soon.

Yes, it is attached directly to the ARB but wouldnt the powdercoating prevent the mount from being a good ground?

I was wondering if this ground wire from the antenna has anything to do with the weather channels, probably not, but i need to read up on it.

I will try the SWR and see what happens!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom