Question on installing a speedi sleeve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I need to install one on the brake drum it's in good shape but when I drag my finger nail across it you can feel a small Ridge so I bought one from NAPA and it seem like it's a super tight fit. do I need to put any kind of sealant on the drum then slide the sleeve on? I did not know how expensive they are so I need to get this right.thanks

I didn't put any sealant on mine. I just pounded it on. However, I have heard some people say you should fill in the groove on the drum with JB Weld or the like to prevent wearing through the speedi sleeve. I didn't do that, and I haven't had any problems.

Expensive? How much did you spend? They're $8 on Amazon right now. :meh: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00279NTD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:cheers:
I feel like a ass $8.00 bucks it cost me $50.00 from. NAPA
Thanks

I think it also fits the crank pulley, cruiser outfitters get 27.03 for em. I went a head and ordered 2 thanks FREAK.

I think I need to install one on the brake drum it's in good shape but when I drag my finger nail across it you can feel a small Ridge so I bought one from NAPA and it seem like it's a super tight fit. do I need to put any kind of sealant on the drum then slide the sleeve on? I did not know how expensive they are so I need to get this right.thanks
Cardude= funny. I just did this last week on my '77. Twice, in fact! Important tip (IMO)- with the stationary brake shoe backing plate removed, slide the splined brake drum all the way on, then you can look closely at where the seal sits on the drum shaft, mark it or just take note how far you need the speedi sleeve to go on. I didn't do this and erroneously thought I screwed it up, removed it, and had to redo it with another one. Cha-ching! It's a tight fit by design. Also, you must remove the flange lip part of the sleeve once it's in place. I paid $24.99 (twice, dammit!) delivered on Amazon. Incidentally, I couldn't find the $8 one anywhere(?)

Like mentioned above make sure you place the sleeve in the seal area. I find it easier to install the sleeve with a press. I use loctite blue under the sleeve. Yes the Flange removal is the hardest part of the install. Most speed/readi-sleeves have good instructions with them.

I believe the instructions call for some kind of non-hardening sealer under the sleeve, to prevent wicking oil. I used a permatex #2 sealer.

Thanks guys .the sleeve came with no instructions.when I get home I will post a picture of the box and sleeve.any suggestions on how to remove the flange? Thanks again

IMHO, things that will make the installation easier :
  1. Make sure the brake drum seal surface is super smooth!
  2. While you SHOULD NOT heat the sleeve, throwing the drum into the freezer overnight will give you a little extra room.
  3. A press will give you better control during the installation.
  4. If the wear groove is deep, filling it with JB Weld probably won't hurt. (See #1)
  5. If this is your first time, having an extra sleeve on the bench is a good idea.

Thanks guys .the sleeve came with no instructions.when I get home I will post a picture of the box and sleeve.any suggestions on how to remove the flange? Thanks again
After you're SURE the sleeve is exactly where you want it, I carefully tapped on the flange lip with a small pin punch all around it to make it change it's angle from 90 degrees (perpendicular) to a lesser angle. (This further weakens the area(groove) where it's designed to separate). Then I cut the lip with some good wire cutters, then grabbed it with pliers, and twisted it, and. snap!, It kinda peels right off. But be careful not to gouge the sleeve surface anywhere.

Last edited:
if you can get it separated to get a hold of a piece. You can roll it around like opening a can of spam.

I have always used the green lock-tight under the sleeve. It seems to help it slide on too.

Dyno

I used a PVC pipe fitting to sit against the sleeve while I pounded it on.
It allowed for a simple install since a press was not available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom