Quater Panel Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally took off the diamond plate water traps on my quarter panels and I was actually pretty pleased with the condition. I thought it would be in alot worse shape under there. I do have some repair to do. I was curious if anyone has done this before or had someone weld in some metal. Any idea of the cost if I took it somewhere to have done? The quarter panels are in pretty decent shape except the very bottom above the tail lights as you see in the photo. So I would imagine I can just put in some new metal there, rather than having to buy two complete quater panels. What is the best way to treat the new metal once it is in? Zero Rust, POR15 or just 3M undercoat on the under side?

mine look about like that without the bondo, Im planning on cutting out the rust spots and welding in some new sheet metal. If you had it prepped, cut out and new sheet ready to fit in, dont think it would be too much for someone to weld it, check your local shops. I figure if it doesnt work can buy the quarter panels, if it does you save $200plus.

That is the exact same rust pattern as on my FJ40 and I consider myself very fortunate that it was so little. I would take that as a win and pay the price to fix it.

Paul

Wow mines exactly the same two, cept its rusted through in a very small area. I will probably have a professional welder friend of mine weld in a new piece. My concern is how will the new piece match the curve? :dunno: I guess you would need to find a shop that can form sheet steel? but its the least of my worries right now.

ohhhhh, perfect opertunity to cut sheetmetal!!!! :G

If you're concerned about keeping your body nice and rust free then I'd have some body shop do the work. Get someone that has old school metal fabbing skills and get it done right the first time. I'd have them prime it while they're at it. Then I would coat the backside of it with POR. I think that would take care of it for years!

Those corners are real easy to bend, just us a bucket with a simular curve and proceed to form.

Then lay it over the area you want to replace and scribe around the area to be removed using the peice as a template. This is the hard part, you should fit and grind until your peice fits in with no overlap.

A very popular choice of metal prep is a product that use to be called Rass Onil, not sure of its new name. Never spray that 3M rubber guard, it will eventually fail and cause more problems in years to come.

I would also use Zero rust or Por 15.

Good Luck

Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom