Qatar Exploration for FJ40's!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was thinking of exploring outside Doha Qatar for old FJ45's. Went for a cup of coffee...drove less than a block away and look what I saw!!!!

Think its a late '70s / early 80's model. Not sure anyone know? Long bed. body was near perfect, but there were some rust (minor). Did not get a chance to see the engine, but hoping it would be the original.

Don't know what I should be looking for? Or how much this is going to cost...still need to find the owner..all I know my wife is going to kill me!!!

need help!!!:):):D:D:D:D
copy - IMG-20140110-00028 - Copy.jpg
copy - Al Rayyan-20140110-00029 - Copy.jpg
copy - Al Rayyan-20140110-00030 - Copy.jpg
copy - Al Rayyan-20140110-00031 - Copy.jpg
copy - Al Rayyan-20140110-00032 - Copy.jpg

80 series wheels in the rear ?

hmmm, interesting … just out of curiosity, any importation issues aside from the 20(?) year old thing (more than 15 years here) …
:)

That's a 1979~1981 model, somewhere in there. Check the floor pans and rockers carefully for rust.

I did look quickly at the floor boards...there was some rust...but looked more surface level. Not sure what "rockers" are??

Guess I'm really showing my rookie-ness....cheers

hmmm, interesting … just out of curiosity, any importation issues aside from the 20(?) year old thing (more than 15 years here) …

It will be GCC spec's. not sure what is required for importing into Canada. Then again, don't know if you can export out of Qatar..there are rules here for everything

not sure on this, but i think it must be pre 81, just looking at the dash... mine is a 83, and has the panel in the middle of the dash. ive seen one with the same panel with an 81 stamp. so, maybe 79? again, not sure, best person to ask would probably be JonnyC

I did look quickly at the floor boards...there was some rust...but looked more surface level. Not sure what "rockers" are??

Guess I'm really showing my rookie-ness....cheers

I can relate to the rookie-ness ... rocker panels are the metal under under the front doors that the running boards (for the lack of a better term) attach ...

It's at least 8/80 and newer. Appears to have the steering wheel with the large center pad. The transfer case shifter is from a split transfer case. Probably earlier than 83. Those did have the incert dash. Those appeared earlier then 83 in some markets but not if any of those were LHD. There are a lot of nice 4X series in the middle east. Problem isn't importing them. It's exporting out of the countries in the Middle East. Otherwise we would seeing more of them showing up in North America. LHD and little to no rust. Add in model not imported or in the case of the pickups not since 67 there is a market for them here.

It's at least 8/80 and newer. Appears to have the steering wheel with the large center pad. The transfer case shifter is from a split transfer case. Probably earlier than 83. Those did have the incert dash. Those appeared earlier then 83 in some markets but not if any of those were LHD. There are a lot of nice 4X series in the middle east. Problem isn't importing them. It's exporting out of the countries in the Middle East. Otherwise we would seeing more of them showing up in North America. LHD and little to no rust. Add in model not imported or in the case of the pickups not since 67 there is a market for them here.

ok that makes sense i.e. its the export part of the equation ... for sure there is a market ... too bad they're not accessible ...

ok that makes sense i.e. its the export part of the equation ... for sure there is a market ... too bad they're not accessible ...

why export when labour is so cheap here in Qatar...but so is the quality! I need to stay on top of things. I'm sure I can find spare parts. I want to buy it & restore it to all its glory!!!

but need big help...never did anything like this before...

Just wanted to up-date; the FJ45 shown above was "sold" a few months ago. Hoping it gone to be restored; but I really wanted it. :(

But since then, seen a number of units; in various stages. The one below was at an exhibition and has been restored. (sorry for quality; poor lighting and cheap company phone)

Doha-20140201-00049.jpg
Doha-20140201-00048.jpg
Doha-20140201-00047.jpg
Doha-20140201-00046.jpg

IMG-20140201-00045.jpg

A few weeks later, found this poor one in a corner of a garage. Garage mech said the owner didn't want to sell; but no one has worked on it for a very long time
IMG-20140315-00057.jpg
Al Wakra-20140315-00058.jpg
Al Wakra-20140315-00059.jpg

But since then, seen a number of units; in various stages. The one below was at an exhibition and has been restored. (sorry for quality; poor lighting and cheap company phone)

This one is nice! Even has OEM fog lights and fog light switch knob on the dash. This one would be perfect for the U.S., being LHD and late model. We see companies importing Cruisers from Costa Rica and Colombia, but how come none from the Middle East?

This one is nice! Even has OEM fog lights and fog light switch knob on the dash. This one would be perfect for the U.S., being LHD and late model. We see companies importing Cruisers from Costa Rica and Colombia, but how come none from the Middle East?

rust free units; but the guys in the Middle East LOVE their cruisers, especially the late models. Won't give them up.

You're fortunate to like these trucks, since in your area there are more to choose from than anywhere else, and the steel bodies are generally in far better condition than you will find in other countries. When you see a nice one, such as the one on exhibition, you have an idea of what you can do to a different truck that may need more work.

All your examples are not 100% original, changes have been made. Some of these photos show trucks needing a lot of work. Many parts are still available in the GCC, but not all. Are you good at mechanical work--engines, axles, transmissions, etc.? Do you know of good shops who can do good work for you? How's your budget for all this? Depending on your nationality, you may need to consult with your wife before undertaking an expensive project.

Many things to consider before buying one of these. They all have the potential to become very nice vehicles.

Best of luck.

Been a while since I have updated this thread. Saw this FJ40 in Jan 2016. Owner says it's a 1981.

If anyone's interested; the seller's number is +974-313133431.

2016-01-23 12.31.10.jpg
2016-01-23 12.31.21.jpg
2016-01-23 12.31.44.jpg
2016-01-23 12.31.59.jpg
2016-01-23 12.32.45.jpg

There were a lot of modifications; many of which need to be reversed. Also that red paint is just too much; and more quality.

Saw another one near the traffic department..hopefully I get a chance to take some pictures. Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom