putting studs in mud tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put studs in my mud grapplers the other evening and I thought I would post some pics and info for other members who dont know much about the process.
First a couple pics (I need a garage!) and then ill explain more. ;)
IMG_8722.jpg
IMG_8729.jpg
IMG_8730.jpg

So in the pictures above, the first fuzzy picture is my 80 series on mud grapplers (no factory holes for studs)
the second is another bad picture of my tire with some studs
and the last is a picture of the air powered stud gun made by bruno wessel.

a couple pictures of the tools:
a better picture of the stud gun. You can see on the back is a tube, obviously you load the studs in there, the tool is designed to use a long hose which will keep studs feeding so you dont have to drop them in individually (which I did). at the front is 3 prongs which you shove into the hole, then 3 fingers push the stud into the tire.

You can also see the studs, they are size 12.

To make the stud holes you can buy a fancy tool which costs about $20-40, or find a drill bit a hair smaller and a collar or pipe to set depth and prevent you from ventilating your tires.
IMG_8734.jpg
IMG_8735.jpg
IMG_8736.jpg

my dewalt has seen better days!

If you want to buy a stud gun, in calgary you would have to get one through REMA tip top for about $495, or from somewhere in edmonton for $425 (or if your lucky someone will lend you one). I will guess these will be a fair bit less $$ in the states. A box of 1000 studs was about $52 and will apparently do a couple vehicles worth of tires.

BTW, it takes forever to do the tires when theyre on the truck, I would definately take the tires off to do it again, but i like to learn the hard way.

So if anyone was wondering the basics of "can you put studs in mud tires" I hope this will help.
IMG_8737.jpg

a couple more. The studs should sit about flush to the tire with only the the carbide bit in the center protruding. in one of the pics you should be able to see the fingers that inset that stud.

BTW this is my first time doing this so if anyone has some corrections to make before I mess up everybody else feel free to throw in some critisism! ;p if this would be more useful in the FAQ section feel free to move it mods.
IMG_8741.jpg
IMG_8739.jpg
IMG_8746.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Did you do a line of studs on the outside and a line of studs on the inside?

Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Did you do a line of studs on the outside and a line of studs on the inside?

kind of, basically I put one in each lug, you can kind of see in the second picture. There are studs in each side of the tire in the outer lugs, same thing for the center lugs. I just put the studs in the thickest, or closest to center part of each lug (i have pics of a open country MT at the bottom). In hindsight I may have used size 13's and I may put a few more in. They work much better than before, but arent as good as a dedicated winter tire on ice. 37" tires may not be the best suited for winter driving though :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom